schools in arizona

Hello,

Hopefully by the end of May I will be a CFI/II and looking for a job. However, my 3 year old son lives in tucson arizona with his mother and stepfather and I'm needing some info about the schools in that area...doesnt HAVE to be in tucson, I'll settle for a little driving distance if i have to.

To keep it short I will have just over 200 hrs tt. CFI and II, trained in R22 and 300CBi. No R-44 time at all. But if there are any schools there in or at least around arizona that i can apply at I would GREATLY appreciate the info. So any body out there in the area who knows whats going on...i would love to hear from ya!

Quantum is hiring right now for CFII's. You'll only be doing II flights unless you pay to learn the Quantum way for VFR, but it's better than nothing. Just have to pass the interviews. Quantum is in Chandler, about as close to Tucson as you can get and live in the Valley.

Quantum is hiring right now for CFII's. You'll only be doing II flights unless you pay to learn the Quantum way for VFR, but it's better than nothing. Just have to pass the interviews. Quantum is in Chandler, about as close to Tucson as you can get and live in the Valley.

The chief pilot is a complete nightmare, I recommend you stay as far away from Quantum as possible. Shoot me a pm though, I might have some ideas.

Edited by nsdqjr

The chief pilot is a complete nightmare, I recommend you stay as far away from Quantum as possible. Shoot me a pm though, I might have some ideas.

I've heard the exact same thing about their chief pilot, from a few very reliable sources.

Edited by Copterpilot213

Students and employees that worked under her said she was unrealistic, demanding and unfair. Every CFI candidate my school sent to her she failed outright for small nit picky things... which is her choice as a DPE but still reflects on how she does things.

I do want to make it clear I don't have any personal experiences with her, but if her students and employees tell me these things and someone is thinking about working there I like to pass on the info... even though it's second hand. I know they could be completely wrong, but they could also be correct and it's from multiple sources. Basically I just wanted to tell the guy what to look out for if he applies there.

Students and employees that worked under her said she was unrealistic, demanding and unfair. Every CFI candidate my school sent to her she failed outright for small nit picky things... which is her choice as a DPE but still reflects on how she does things.

I do want to make it clear I don't have any personal experiences with her, but if her students and employees tell me these things and someone is thinking about working there I like to pass on the info... even though it's second hand. I know they could be completely wrong, but they could also be correct and it's from multiple sources. Basically I just wanted to tell the guy what to look out for if he applies there.

Fair enough, as I said I haven't had any problems with her - I have done an instrument check ride with her and it was tough, but I though it fair. I haven't done a CFI checkride yet so I can't speak to that.

One question - Do you actually know people from your school who have failed a CFI checkride there, or did the school tell you that. I'm aware of one school that would send students out of state (to one of their own DPE's) rather that use local examiners, at least on occasion. Maybe it was just availability, but I know that there are DPE's in Arizona that don't work at Quantum.

Yeah I actually knew people from my old school that went there. One guy took a month off of work to do nothing but prepare for the checkride, he was one of our best guys and he failed her checkride because he didn't do hovering autos the way she likes to do them. Again this is all something he told me, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

I've had three checkrides with her and passed each one just fine. She is very particular and very black and white when it comes to her examining and Chief CFI duties. If you choose not to go to Quantum just because of that, you've seriously cheated yourself.

I've personally talked to two, and heard from many, chief pilots at other organizations (not training) who said if they see Quantum on a resume they will call them first over any other applicant. Quantum has an excellent safety record, and an excellent reputation for making good pilots. If you think personal issues with the Chief are more important than safety, training, and maintenance, then that's your choice.