FDC NOTAM 9/5151 (sporting event TFRs)

Some time back we talked about sporting event TFRs and how difficult it was to find out when one was in effect. Remember this is a "blanket" NOTAM/TFR. That means the textual information will always be posted on the FAA TFR site National list only. It will not be issued for each event for which it applies to.

It is up to the pilot to find out when there is a qualifying event at a particular location. Not doing so can lead that pilot to violate the TFR and receive enforcement action by the FAA. Also, local area ATC in most cases will not broadcast information that a TFR is in effect.

Part of the discussion was to find ways in which we could make it easier to find out when these TFRs are in effect. I have made suggestions to the FAA on some changes that they could make. One member suggested that the FAA plot the affected stadiums and populate the stadium schedule into the FAA TFR website. Well, one already exists. It is not an FAA site so the pilot will still want to verify the information.

Visit www.avnwx.com . It is actually a pretty good website. I do not use it much but since I have discovered they have an overlay option for TFRs to include sporting event one, I have been using it more. It will graphically depict with a RED circle the TFR. When you click on it you will see information of the event taking place along with a start and end time. You have an option to overlay TFRs currently in effect or go into effect in the next 24hrs. You can also select an option to see TFRs coming up 3 days out.

Not bad huh. This should help with the concern of sporting event TFRs. This is the only website I know of that does this. I have suggested to ForeFlight that they find a way to do this as well.

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for posting. I had no idea that this tool existed.

Would also love to see that incorporated into ForeFlight (as well as Heli Route Charts).

On a side note, does anyone know why the FAA elected to publish a 'blanket' NOTAM rather than publishing a specific, individual NOTAM for each event?

• Like 1

There are so many events that fall under this NOTAM. As a result the man power it would take quite a bit of man power to track these events, post the TFR. They then would have to monitor the schedule as game times often change, get delayed and so on. It is easier and cheaper to put the burden on the pilots. If a pilot violates a 9/5151 TFR they will go after you as they have done so in the past.

There are so many events that fall under this NOTAM. As a result the man power it would take quite a bit of man power to track these events, post the TFR. They then would have to monitor the schedule as game times often change, get delayed and so on. It is easier and cheaper to put the burden on the pilots. If a pilot violates a 9/5151 TFR they will go after you as they have done so in the past.

I almost got bit yesterday. I posted a Dodger game schedule in the hallway for all to see.....I failed to look at it....our regular tour doesn't even go within 3 miles of the stadium so not an issue, I was trading a shift with someone else...so unfamiliar there with the usual game time....the customer wanted to go downtown instead of the regular route...I said sure. Burbank tower just happened to mention "Dodger TFR in effect, frequency changed approved" when he let me go. Not sure at what point I would have realized the stadium was lit up and put two and two together......it sure can happen to anyone. The tower has ZERO responsibility to mention this, it was just a courtesy on their part.

Now I owe them all a beer.

Goldy

edit. BTW I have since found an app on the Dodger website that downloads their home game schedule onto ours, all in one shot! works great. Since we look at the schedule a couple times a day to get our passenger weights, it should be obvious to us when there is a game. Near-misses are opportunities to fix, not something to be ignored.

Edited by Goldy
  • Like 1