Helicopter AcademyTigerTugsVRForumGen468VOLO_VRGeneral468UpperLimit2011General_468x60
Photo
- - - - -

PAL V flying car

gyrocopter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, business, geopolitics, rotorcraft technology, investing, real estate, business opportunities
  • Company working for:RSI

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:34

Wondering if anybody here has heard of the PAL V gyrocopter car?

https://www.pal-v.co...characteristics

The rotor blades fold when the aircraft converts to driving mode, that's pretty amazing.

What's the engineering behind the folding blade design?, I imagine it puts a lot of stress at the folding point.

9:58

• TomPPL and TeoerryNug like this

#2 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:10

Flying cars seem to be crappy cars and poor flying machines.  I don't want either of those even if they can be marketed.

I would heartily recommend a lot of drivers I encounter get one.  And I would heartily encourage them- Don't let the first crash in either mode discourage you.  Keep trying!

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

#3 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, business, geopolitics, rotorcraft technology, investing, real estate, business opportunities

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:14

Flying cars seem to be crappy cars and poor flying machines.  I don't want either of those even if they can be marketed.

I would heartily recommend a lot of drivers I encounter get one.  And I would heartily encourage them- Don't let the first crash in either mode discourage you.  Keep trying!

Never say never, flying cars are very convenient 

#4 TomPPL

TomPPL

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Company working for:My Own

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:16

It looks really stable, wasnt expecting that.

• chris pochari likes this

#5 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy recreational pilot! :)

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:23

Yeah, that's not a flying car,...

This is a flying car,...from the past!
  • chris pochari likes this
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#6 voyagerB

voyagerB

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:To VTOL or not to VTOL
  • Company working for:independent consultant in mobility issues

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:05

Wondering if anybody here has heard of the PAL V gyrocopter car?

https://www.pal-v.co...characteristics

The rotor blades fold when the aircraft converts to driving mode, that's pretty amazing.

What's the engineering behind the folding blade design?, I imagine it puts a lot of stress at the folding point.

9:58

Yeah, as a Dutchman I am familiar with those guys. As a matter of fact, I visited them once. IMO, they're presenting the first truly viable flying car. It's a three-wheeler for road legality reasons (not that different in the U.S.). It uses a push prop. The overhead rotorblades are meant for use as an autogyro. So, if there's a power fauiure, it autorotates towards the ground. The setback is its price of $450,000 and the fact that you always need a runway. The trend nowadays is VTOL.

#7 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:06

Yeah, as a Dutchman I am familiar with those guys. As a matter of fact, I visited them once. IMO, they're presenting the first truly viable flying car. It's a three-wheeler for road legality reasons (not that different in the U.S.). It uses a push prop. The overhead rotorblades are meant for use as an autogyro. So, if there's a power fauiure, it autorotates towards the ground. The setback is its price of $450,000 and the fact that you always need a runway. The trend nowadays is VTOL.

I was waiting for you to chime in, do you know the patent for the folding rotor blade?, I'd love to see the details.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

PrecisionVRForumGeneral200HeliHelmetsAble_VRGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200MidwestHeliAcademy2016DevoreGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200Helmet FX General 200