Terry Kelbaugh

copied from JH:

Friends & Fellow Flyers,

A short while ago I received a call from Terry Kelbaugh's wife Joan. Joan called me to let me know that Terry (TerryK, as he was known here on this forum) passed away last night in his sleep.

As you can imagine Joan is in a tearful state at the passing of her loving husband; Terry was just 52 years old. Joan told me that she believes Terry is looking down on us with a smile since he was the first person she knew of that passed away in his sleep while on-duty at the Kona Fire Department. I suppose you could say that Terry went with his boots on ready to answer the call.

Joan informed me that the exact cause of death is still unknown and won't be known until after an autopsy. Joan asked that at this time if everyone could just keep them in their prayers that would be a blessing and that she will let us know what the arrangements will be as soon as she knows.

In addition to his wife Joan, Terry leaves behind a son, a daughter and two grandchildren. Along, of course, with many friends and co-workers that considered him a humble hero - he will be missed.

Take Care & God Bless, TimothyA

• Like 1

On Saturday I watched Terry as he played with his 4 month old grandson, Travis Jr. He cooked me a grilled cheese sandwich, and made me a giant mug of Kona coffee. He looked to be in excellent health, and was all fired up about a foundation he was forming. We celebrated both his wife Joan's and his son Travis's birthdays.

Terry was a real class act - never heard him speak an unkind word. We talked at length about the CH47, his favorite helicopter (he's flown just about all the Army has). The last email he sent me was of a giant Russian helicopter being used to carry mine equipment in Canada.

No telling how many people owe their lives to Terry - he flew the Fire Department LongRanger on the Big Island and was named Chief Pilot just two weeks ago. He did it all: fire-fighting, surf-rescue, mountain rescue, medevac, locating overdue aircraft. He was actively working on getting NVG's for his department.

He contributed a great deal on both Forums and will be irreplacable.

Husband, Father, Grandfather, Friend - what a wonderful legacy he leaves behind.

Blue Skies, my friend. We'll meet again.