Should I get fixed wing first?

I've been checking things out and I know Helo school is very expensive. Would it be cheaper to take ground school and get a private fixed wing license first? Does it matter?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this has been posted before. I couldn't find it.

I got my fixed wing first but it was only because I had no desire to fly helos until recently. My department will have several aviation openings in the near future and you have to have your helo rating to even be considered, since we only fly helos. I guess it all depends on what your goal is. Do you wanna fly airplanes or helicopters? No reason to get you airplane rating if you plan do fly helicopters. The time I ave in airplanes will really only benefit me when I start my CP training.

Even with my airplane rating I have to complete 30hrs in the helo to get the rotarcraft add-on. At $300 an hour, that comes to $9k minimum. It will probably take me longer. So I say decide what your goals are gonna be and go that route.

Short answer: No it won't be cheaper.

Long answer: Unless you want your fixed wing I don't think it really helps out much. Most people who come in for an add-on usually take just as long as the people who are brand new. The only diference is they already know most of the ground. It may make your instrument training a little cheaper as you can learn instruments in the plane. Still though, you already shoveled out the $ to get the fixed wing private so that might cancel out the $ saved on inst. Also, you're still going to need 200 helicopter hours in order to instruct anyway(if flying robbies) so any $ saved getting a fixed wing will have to be spent again on paying for some extra helo time.

Also, you're still going to need 200 helicopter hours in order to instruct anyway(if flying robbies) so any $ saved getting a fixed wing will have to be spent again on paying for some extra helo time.

Not only that, I've seen a lot of schools asking for 300 hours minimum for flight instructing now. Normally though, if you do your training in a school and they have an opening when you get your CFI, they'll help you get around that 300 hour thing which is an insurance requirement I think.

You'll be able to get actual IFR time once you have your instrument F/W, whereas actual IFR time is few and far between for even IFR captains in helos. This is a requirement for EMS jobs, as well as a big plus for most other jobs. Being dual-rated can't ever hurt. 80% of what you learn in FW will transfer over to helo's no problem. Really all you'll be left to learn is heli aerodynamics, systems and how to actually fly the dang thing.