www.helicopteruniversity.com - Need info

I am sure I am writing to alot of the same folks (I posted to JH and pprune also), but this is the list of websites my helicopter buddy recommened.

I am looking to do a Rotorcraft add-on and was trying to cut a bit of cost. I found www.helicopteruniversity.com over at Just Helicopters and was wondering if any of you have used them in the past.

Looks like a good system (at least from the demos I saw), but I don't want to dump money into a scam.

Anyone have a dealings are done any courses with them?

Thanks....

F2F

no idea what they are charging, but an add on should be in the range of 6K-9K or so...that includes all your flight time..you shouldnt need a lot of ground school since its an add on...mostly all the aerodynamic stuff.

I think you would be better off getting your answers from whatever school you are flying at.

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

no idea what they are charging, but an add on should be in the range of 6K-9K or so...that includes all your flight time..you shouldnt need a lot of ground school since its an add on...mostly all the aerodynamic stuff.

Goldy - I almost choked on my dinner when I saw the price - their "Special" pricing is $495!!! Their normal pricing is $999!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: The kicker is, you don't even get to keep the courseware. I guess that $495 for a ground school isn't tooooo bad (I seem to remember paying about $300 for my fixed wing private ground school 15 years ago) but good god, please tell me that there is no one paying them a grand for a fancy slide show!!??!!!

Edited by cl600pilot

Yea... $1000 regular, $495 "Special Pricing". Crazy isn't it? And, believe it or not, one of the selling points on their site is cost savings!

Sure... it might be cheaper than hiring a CFI to go through all of the ground school with you, but that's apples and oranges. If you compare their program, which is self-study, to any other self-study programs, it's incredibly expensive.

I hope people are smarter than to pay what they're asking.

Here is another resource to avoid. This guy won't make all course chapters available. He also won't refund your money if you are not satisfied. He also sells on Ebay.

http://www.aviatoracademy.com/

I took the King helicopter add-on and I also looked at several of these on-line ground schools. Even though helicopter university is more expensive, it is worth the price. The content has really cool 3D animations, actual videos and all kinds of links/downloads. The quiz software makes this worth the price by itself too. Before I signed up, they let me demo the first 3 lessons. I am sure they do that for others and that I am not special. I am sold on it.

Jen