Hour building

Just got my private, working on instrument and commercial, would rather not teach if I don't have to. Is there a stigma attached to building hours flying left seat in a traffic copter? Someone at my flight school mentioned that these type of hours are frowned on by employers. Is that true? I make pretty decent coin in my current gig so I can probably finance most of my hours without resorting to teaching, but should I get the CFII? What do employers generally look for, do they want to see that you've been teaching? The traffic copter deal is $190/hr. left seat in a Jet Ranger doing the bulk of the flying. Also I have about 300 fixed wing hours with an instrument rating, what's that worth to me? Opinions would be appreciated.

It's a percentage deal. If you got your Commercial helicopter add-on in 60-70 hrs or so, then flew the left seat deal until you hit 500 hrs, you're not going to have much experience for your number of hours. But, if you're going for a job that requires 2000 hrs and you have that 500 hrs, plus 500 running tours in AK, and 1000 in the GOM, it's not going to matter. More and more single pilot operators are looking for SOLO time for this reason (not just PIC.....solo.)

I wouldn't call this news gig "cheating", but if you're doing it for nothing more than building time, you're cheating yourself. If you're just going to be riding on the controls or just flying the straight & level legs, just pencil whip that xx-hundred hours rather than spend all that money. In all seriousness, it's a waste to spend money on flying and improve your skills.

You wouldn't believe how much you learn when you instruct. This is the time when you really improve your skills as a pilot--especially being able to recover from bad situations. I think the common phrase, "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach" is 100% WRONG when it comes to the helicopter world.

Get your CFI, CFII, & Instrument. Fly as many different helicopters as you can, and fly them in as many applications and areas as you can. A well-rounded experience level is the key to a long, stable career in aviation.

You wouldn't believe how much you learn when you instruct. This is the time when you really improve your skills as a pilot--especially being able to recover from bad situations. I think the common phrase, "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach" is 100% WRONG when it comes to the helicopter world.

Get your CFI, CFII, & Instrument. Fly as many different helicopters as you can, and fly them in as many applications and areas as you can. A well-rounded experience level is the key to a long, stable career in aviation.

I agree teaching will teach him a lot, but don't forget, if you end up teaching it's not just so you can learn and build time -- there's someone else in this equation too. Even if it's not your dream job, you can do it well and do your best by your students or you shouldn't be there. I wouldn't push teaching on someone who was sure he didn't want to do it -- it's not fair to his students.

Apologies if I just opened a can of worms...

• 1 month later...
Where is this offered?

You can do it in L.A. all day long for $190. Great instructor too, in a 206. You fly about 5 hours a day...one of the VR members just left here after a week or so of flying...I think he would tell you it was a blast and he learned a lot.

I dont think I would do it for hundreds of hours, but as an intro into a bigger ship for 20 or 30 hours, I think it would be valuable.

Goldy

You can do it in L.A. all day long for $190. Great instructor too, in a 206. You fly about 5 hours a day...one of the VR members just left here after a week or so of flying...I think he would tell you it was a blast and he learned a lot.

I dont think I would do it for hundreds of hours, but as an intro into a bigger ship for 20 or 30 hours, I think it would be valuable.

Goldy

that sounds like fun, and a pretty good deal too! I know some one that might be interested in this - where could I go to get more info or contact details?

To add on to Goldy's post... Flying is not just about controlling the aircraft, for $190.00 hr in the L.A. area, you will be learning how to manage flying in busy airspace (useful for those of us that have had limited exposure to controlled airspace) along with turbine startup and shutdown procedures, energy (inertia) management of a heavier ship, and a lot of related things. What a deal!!

I wouldn't consider it cheating unless you were just sitting there shadowing on the controls while the other pilot did the flying.

Whistlerpilot just came down from BC last week and flew with one of em...you could PM him for his opinions directly.

One of several ships available is at www.heliclass.com, which is where Whistler flew. Philippe now owes me at least an hour for posting his web address !!

Good Luck,

Goldy

would rather not teach if I don't have to.

Then please don't. If you don't want to teach, then the worst thing is a CFI who doesn't want to be there. Most instructors are this way and it doesn't help the industry at all.

You can also look into powerline patrol, frost patrol, photography, etc.

Whistlerpilot just came down from BC last week and flew with one of em...you could PM him for his opinions directly.

One of several ships available is at www.heliclass.com, which is where Whistler flew. Philippe now owes me at least an hour for posting his web address !!

Good Luck,

Goldy

thanks goldy, I'll check that out!

Then please don't. If you don't want to teach, then the worst thing is a CFI who doesn't want to be there. Most instructors are this way and it doesn't help the industry at all.

You can also look into powerline patrol, frost patrol, photography, etc.

don't you need a fair few hours, I thought 500 or so, to do power line patrol?

I know several flight schools will occasionally get requests for photo flights, that they offer to their CFI's, but where do you go for frost patrol or power line patrol?

For all these time-building schemes, unless the aircraft is insured for instruction and rental, it's a terrible idea. If the insurance company doesn't know you're flying an aircraft they insure, and they find out you were manipulating the controls, who do you think they're going to come after? YOU. There's a reason most of them are so cheap; they're under-insured. Like I said, nothing wrong w/ this if the aircraft is insured for instruction/rental or each pilot is approved individually, but most of the time this isn't the case. And I don't need to tell anyone that helicopter accidents do happen, and insurance companies can and do come after pilots, and if they're not approved you can bet on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

As Goldy mentioned I just flew 40 hours in the 206 with Philippe at Heliclass. I found it to be a very educational experience. I did off airport landings every flight, flew approaches to tops of buildings, stayed in formation with up to 6 ENG machines, maintained HOGE 500' above accidents, torque turns, and learned the complicated LA airspace. Philippe is an outstanding instructor so take the opportunity to go practise autos, confines, high density alt, etc... while there. I had 50 hours Jet Ranger time before going there which made it much more useful for me. If you are new to the 206 Philippe may not let you do as much, but I can't predict how comfortable someone else would be in the Jet Ranger.

Goldy thanks for your hospitality while visiting Van Nuys, it's great to have a face with your profile now.

I also did 40 hours of time building with an R22 privately owned out of Ohio for $160. hr all up. This was also an excellent experience and I spent over half the time practising CFI manouvers and verbal instruction from the left seat. If any one wants more info on either experience please PM me.

On another note I am looking for people interested in shared time building in the WA or BC area this fall and winter. I should have my CFI before Christmas. All possibilities will be considered! Next spring I will be flying up north in the Canadian arctic again but trying to get another 100 hours before then.

My only advice on time building is make sure your skills are actually improving. I found practising the CFI flight manouvers gave me a goal to focus on.

Cheers

stayed in formation with up to 6 ENG machines,

Only 6? Wow, that must have been a slow news day in L.A. !

Goldy thanks for your hospitality while visiting Van Nuys, it's great to have a face with your profile now.

Glad to meet you, now you owe me a beer !

Edited by Goldy