Solo X-Country Tomorrow!

Well, I got my solo x-country set up for tomorrow. Finished my dual today and all went well. I went and flew fixed wing for a bit after we finished and realized how much more fun the helo is. Nothing better than flying 1200msl at 65knots. You get to actually look around and see stuff. When I was flying the fixed wing we were at 2500msl at around 95knots. The only thing I saw was haze and the horizon. Oh well, wish me luck tomorrow and I will report my progress afterwards.

"Gotta love those big ol windows and no doors" Now that's freedom......

Edited by flynpig

Well, I got my solo x-country set up for tomorrow. Finished my dual today and all went well. I went and flew fixed wing for a bit after we finished and realized how much more fun the helo is. Nothing better than flying 1200msl at 65knots. You get to actually look around and see stuff. When I was flying the fixed wing we were at 2500msl at around 95knots. The only thing I saw was haze and the horizon. Oh well, wish me luck tomorrow and I will report my progress afterwards.

"Gotta love those big ol windows and no doors" Now that's freedom......

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Kelly

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Kelly

Thanks Kelly. Now I remember what I didn't like about fixed wings. How close you have to sit to your CFI. I can't wait until I am refreshed enough to start doing my commercial fixed wing solo x-countries. Me myself and I.

Well, did 2 of my 3 hours solo x-country today. Very nice weather for it too. Is it me or is flying in the helo bad for your lower back. Wanted to do the whole 3 hours but fuel would have been an issue. All in all the weather was good and no major issues. Only problem was coming back into land at my home base, KJQF, the tower cleared me to land on runway 2 "adjacent" to the numbers. Didn't quite understand what he was talking about so I made a normal right base and flew all the way to the numbers at the end of the runway before stopping. Shortly afterwards I got called to the tower. Apparently he wanted me to make my right base at the numbers instead of my normal approach. They do not like the helicopters at my base since we have all the bigwig NASCAR jets flying in and out Wed-Fri.

So, my flight instructor and I made our way to the tower after the flight and had a brief talk with the controller. He is not the most liked person at the airport acording to several other pilots I have spoken with. Luckily the head controller is very good friends with my flight instructor and they are working on the way he communicates to all pilots, not just students. I told him I got 6 years in fixed wing and wasn't used to someone telling me to land adjacent to the numbers. He wanted me to go straight to the ramp but I told him we were not allowed to as students. All in all after the talk, we got things squared away and he gave me a high 5 on my way out. I always try to turn negatives into positives. Anyway, got 1 hour of solo x-coutry left and then my night x-country next week. After that, I start preparing for my check-ride.

Edited by flynpig