I am reading about MELs.. I think I get the gist that it really is a list of inoperable equipment, that may not necessarily be required to fly the A/C safely...I think.

I think it states that the equipment has to be labeled (sort of like out of order?).

Is this accurate?

Any comments from you super smart pilots? (Can't wait to see Witch's comments)..

Please do not categorize this as a dumb question...yet

I am reading about MELs.. I think I get the gist that it really is a list of inoperable equipment, that may not necessarily be required to fly the A/C safely...I think.

I think it states that the equipment has to be labeled (sort of like out of order?).

Is this accurate?

Any comments from you super smart pilots? (Can't wait to see Witch's comments)..

Please do not categorize this as a dumb question...yet

This not a dumb question. You will find very few MEL's for single engine aircraft. The reason is that 91.209 exempts helicopters and small non-turbine airplanes. If you are operating one of those, you need to meet the requirements of Part 91 or Part 135 as appropriate for the flight operations to be conducted as far as required equipment goes.

As for labeling, are you referring to the requirement of placarding inoperative equipment? If so, it is necessary to do so to inform other pilots of the inoperative equipment and the operating limitations there of.

If you are referring to the listing of the items within the MEL. it goes by ATA codes and I have never been able to figure out why they are listed the way they are. It may have something to do with how the items are listed within the maintenance manuals, but I do not know for sure.

Basically, if I understand your question correctly...

In the short version. Yes, a MEL is a document which, lets say you go out to the aircraft and find that the landing light isn't working. You then go into the MEL, look up landing light and it will tell you if you can fly with it "inop" or what needs to be done for you to fly with it the way it is. You then will have to write it up and placard it as inop per the MEL. Which really in all the aircraft I've ever flown with MEL's means you put a sticker on the landing light switch or near it that say's "Inop Per XX-XX, signed ______" or whatever number the landing light is in place of XX-XX.

The thing to remember with a MEL is, if it's not in the MEL you can not fly with it not working.

This has been covered way more in depth here before I think, so you might try a search also...

There are 3 ways to legally make a flight in an aircraft with inoperative equipment

A. Minimum Equipment Lists:(MEL)

• An MEL is a list of all equipment in the aircraft that CAN be inoperative, and the prescribed action to be taken, allowing the aircraft to still be airworthy.

• To get an MEL, the operator must send a request to the FAA itemizing the equipment they would like to be on it, this list is compiled using a MMEL (Master Minimum Equipment List) from the manufacturer

• Required equipment cannot be on an MEL

B. Deferral provision of 91.213(d): FAR 91.213 (d)

• A pilot can determine if inoperative equipment constitutes a hazard to the aircraft.

• Equipment must be placarded as inoperative and disconnected.

• Still cannot include required equipment

• More popular than an MEL because of minimal paperwork and it's simplicity.

Note that 91.213 (d) (3) (ii) requires that the maintenance be done in accordance with Part 43, and...

Part 43.11 (B) requires that inoperative equipment be listed and provided to the lessee or owner in writing, and that it be signed and dated.

Also note, the pilot assumes legal liability for any consequence of flying the aircraft in its current condition (as always). Do you want to be liable for judging whether or not the inoperative equipment poses a hazard? The answer to that will obviously vary depending on what equipment is broken, and the your (the pilot's) experience level, but it a question worth asking yourself before using a maintenance deferral.

C. Special Flight Permit: (Ferry Permit)

• Special Flight Permits can be granted by the FSDO allowing an un-airworthy aircraft to be flown to a location where it can be fixed.

• They are granted on a case by case basis

• A ferry permit can be issued for an aircraft that has broken required equipment

Does that answer it?

And no, yours is not a dumb question.

Edited by heli.pilot

Thanks everyone

Everyone responded to what I was hoping to get answered.

That it is a document, that there are labels on the equipment (i was in one helicopter where there were a few "out of order"s (thought those were only on vending machines :) )

Confirmed to me that it was a list of equipment allowed to be inoperable.

One more question, not really part of the MEL (but it could be).. Why does the Tail Rotor light when not working, always seem to just need a nice flick of the fingers to jar it back into working? (position light on tail rotor) or is it just me?

Rodrop, heli.pilot's got your answer there for the MEL. Might also look at Advisory Circular 91-67 on the FAA's website. It's long, but it gives you the background and reasons for the MEL and MMEL, how the MMEL is developed with the manufacturer, etc. Good background to know if you're trying to describe or teach it to a student.

A good way to describe an MEL: A Minimum Equipment list is a list of equipment that CAN be inoperative and the aircraft still be airworthy.

As for the position light on the tail rotor, assuming you're talking about Robinsons, there's definitely a history of them being intermittent. My guess is the connectors being used aren't exactly gold-plated. So no, it's not just you.

Hope that helps!

One more question, not really part of the MEL (but it could be).. Why does the Tail Rotor light when not working, always seem to just need a nice flick of the fingers to jar it back into working? (position light on tail rotor) or is it just me?

Haha, It's not just you...