Helicopter careers

wannabe87

The only thing I have to do while being deployed is think. I have been still looking around at what the best area to train in for a job after school is. I really want to fly for the utility industry and forestry type stuff. Still trying to figure out what a good area would be to train in so I can build contacts and get some experience in that type of flying. I am still nervous about this as a career, flying is a passion of mine, and I love flying helicopters, just doesnt seem to be that many operators. Is there a site that lists all of the helicopter operators? I am still just trying to figure out if I should spend all of the money on a helicopter career and never end up getting a job. I am single, have no bills, and really dont own anything but a car. I am also not worried about living on ramen noodles for years, it acually excites me because of the adventure, and the fact that I would be working towards making money to make my passion my career. I just want to know what the BEST way for me to end up with a forestry or utility job would be, does anyone have an ideal career track that may help to reach this goal? The military flying is not an option for me, because I failed the color blind test, but I do have a civilian 1st class medical.

One more thing... This may seem like a no brainer to everyone, but not for me..... I am from TN, and have a job at the airport, and I know the chief pilot for a charter company who has told me to come see him after I get all my ratings for a job(this is fixed wing though). I also have many other contacts in the area as well. This is all for fixed wing flying jobs though. My heart is in helicopters, there are some things about fixed wing that I like a lot, but nothing that compares to how I feel about flying helicopters. Is it stupid of me to move off somewhere, pay for rotary wing flight school, have to build all new contacts, and hope to find a job flying helicopters when I have good contacts in the fixed wing world? That is probably the biggest thing standing in my way. I really want to fly helicopters, but I am nervous that I will end up just paying tons of money and end up with nothing. I know that I will have to make contacts, and go door to door, and that so far is what I have done. Sorry if this whole post seems confusing, it is just a ton of my thoughts put down in one post. Im just trying to convince myself that it isnt a bad choice to go for what my passion is. I will be 22 when I started training next year, and I will have a little over $20,000 saved up, plus my VA benefits to use. Well, I will end the post now lol, sorry for the long one.

Stick with helicopters (airplanes suck!) :blink: . This is a long, hard, and seemingly impossible road, but if its your passion, you might as well persue it. You're young, you have plenty of time to screw up, plus having military benefits should be very helpful.

I can't give any advise on finding 'utility' contacts, that's a job you will probably have to work into, and for which you'll need a couple thousand hours. :huh:

Stick with helicopters (airplanes suck!) :blink: . This is a long, hard, and seemingly impossible road, but if its your passion, you might as well persue it. You're young, you have plenty of time to screw up, plus having military benefits should be very helpful.

I can't give any advise on finding 'utility' contacts, that's a job you will probably have to work into, and for which you'll need a couple thousand hours. :huh:

Well, I wouldnt say airplanes suck, there are a few things fun with airplanes like aerobatics, flying low, traveling, and now I cant think of the others lol. Well, aerobatics are fun in airplanes. And helicopter careers do almost seem impossible(from what I read), and that is the one thing that really worries me. Can I make it? Money is not a big issue, as long as I can afford the ramen noodles. I have lived on less. The utility industry is where I hope to end up, I was looking at a company called Helicopter Express, and they seem to do everything I would love to do. Also Temsco excites me a lot too for an entry job. But really, how hard is it to get on with those companies? I imagine Temsco has thousands of resumes sent in per month. So what is the best way to do this? Does the location of the flight school you attend matter? I know contacts are important, but I cant really do much about that while I am here. So like I said, before I go and spend $70,000 on all of this, I just want to make sure that it isnt a lost cause. This is my passion, and the long hard road excites me, I just want to make sure there will be some breaks along the road too, and eventually an end.

Don't give up on your dream of flying helicopters. If it was meant to be it will happen, you just have to work a little harder like I did. As for the military, I too was disqualified due to my red green color deficiency. I was told by a local deputy sheriff to contact him when I was ready to go into the reserves. I told him I was not qualified due to the color blindness and he told me things have changed alot. That I should be able to get in now. Needless to say I have not contacted him yet. I'm not ready for any military branch yet and I'm 34 years old. Your still young, so you might check into the reserves to see if this is an option for you. As for utility work goes, just contact the companies and get their rquirements and then you know what lies ahead of you and what you will need to do to accomplished your goals to become a utility pilot. Good luck and don't give up.

Steve

Don't give up on your dream of flying helicopters. If it was meant to be it will happen, you just have to work a little harder like I did. As for the military, I too was disqualified due to my red green color deficiency. I was told by a local deputy sheriff to contact him when I was ready to go into the reserves. I told him I was not qualified due to the color blindness and he told me things have changed alot. That I should be able to get in now. Needless to say I have not contacted him yet. I'm not ready for any military branch yet and I'm 34 years old. Your still young, so you might check into the reserves to see if this is an option for you. As for utility work goes, just contact the companies and get their rquirements and then you know what lies ahead of you and what you will need to do to accomplished your goals to become a utility pilot. Good luck and don't give up.

Steve

Thanks Steve! I am very willing to work hard for this. I would do whatever it takes. I am in the National Guard right now, coming up on 6 years now, currently overseas in Iraq, will get home in March 2010. I got in to be a pilot, and it didnt work out due to the color blind issue. I am not extremly worried about it, I am willing to pay for the passion so to speak, I just want to know that the hard work will pay off. Thanks again for the reply. Also, in the helicopter industry, what is the best ways to make contacts? Where are the best places to be for utility contacts? Or does that really matter when you just starting off? THanks again!

Matt

The best place to be is in the PIC seat. LOL That is a tough question to answer as utility companies are scattered all over the USA. Start by searching them on the internet and then researching the companies and finding out which one you really want to work for and then go pay them a visit. It is a good start and then stay in contact with that company. Hard work and determination almost always pays off as long as you stick with it and do your best to make it happen. Good luck

Steve

I've heard a lot of good things about Temsco. I've also heard their 135 program is pretty challenging. I know a few instructors who have gone there after reaching the thousand hour mark, I've also met a number of them who didn't bother to try, because they didn't want to go all the way to Alaska, which could be a plus for those of us willing to go anywhere.

A note about the Ramen noodles. Do you suppose subsisting on nothing but them for an extended period of time could hurt your blood preasure. There's a great deal of sodium in them, that's why I stick with peanut butter(no pun intended). :huh:

A note about the Ramen noodles. Do you suppose subsisting on nothing but them for an extended period of time could hurt your blood preasure. There's a great deal of sodium in them, that's why I stick with peanut butter(no pun intended). :huh:

Throw out the seasoning packet, that will get rid of most of the sodium, add such things as olive oil and garlic powder, or italian salad dressing instead, experiment with other items till you find some varities that you like

Well, hopefully I could find a job before having that high of blood pressure. If not I may have to switch to another type of cheep food. Lucky for me I wont have rent payments while I live in a box in the alley next to the school, so I may even be able to afford some dollar menu style salad and shake, well, maybe Im just dreaming... I do know that this is really what I want to do though. Had a lot of peolpe tell me not to, but I cant really seem to move on. I will give it everything I have though, and I will not give up. Is $20,000 a good number to start with in the bank? I am also trying to figure out the whole paying for the rest of school stuff. I do not want any loans! I would rather just pay for it out of pocket, I just dont want to be in debt, debt takes the fun out of everything. Also, if I did my training in TN, would that hurt me at all with my goal of flying utility? Thanks for the replies!

wannabe87,

What part of tn. If you already have someone that is willing to give you a job flying airplanes, then take it, at least for now. Take advantage of a paying job, that you will still enjoy and you can use that expereince to further yourself into to helicopter world and you can do an add on later. Beggers can't be choosie.

Just because you take the fixed wing job doesn't mean you still can't fly helicopters. Things happen for a reason. I love helicopters and have been working on my private. I am also in the military, but active in the Coast Guard stationed in chicago, but from Paris TN, acutally still have a house there that i rent out and plan on going back when i retire possibly in 4 more years as age 38. If i would have had the offer of a fixed wing opportunity, i would take it, and use it to my advantage, to better myself as a helo pilot.

You have it pretty easy if you are prior military. Use your Post 9/11 benefits to get all of your flight training paid for while pursuing a 2 year associate degree. Don't let people tell you that you can't use your Post 9/11 benefits for flight training it simply isn't true. There are a few schools out there that are getting programs up and running. You are young and since the government will actually pay you (monthly BAH) to go to school and do flight training there isn't much to loose for you. The rest will just work itself out after getting your ratings, and think you won't have to be $80,000 in debt, forget the ramen you will be able to afford better. Good luck

You have it pretty easy if you are prior military. Use your Post 9/11 benefits to get all of your flight training paid for while pursuing a 2 year associate degree. Don't let people tell you that you can't use your Post 9/11 benefits for flight training it simply isn't true. There are a few schools out there that are getting programs up and running. You are young and since the government will actually pay you (monthly BAH) to go to school and do flight training there isn't much to loose for you. The rest will just work itself out after getting your ratings, and think you won't have to be $80,000 in debt, forget the ramen you will be able to afford better. Good luck

Thanks for the reply. I am looking at a few schools to use the VA benefits. Hillsboro Aviation is one that I am looking at, or Leading Edge. I am also looking at Helicopter Academy, plus a school in TN, but the one in TN does not take the GI bill. The other three do, but two of the schools would give me a two year degree, one school gives me a job, and the other puts me close to home. So I am having a hard time figuring out which would be best. Any input would be great! I dont mind moving at all, I love change, and hate the same thing everyday, so a long move would acually be good for me. Anything that anyone can tell me is great. Thanks

Sounds like you are doing your research and trying to make the most out of the new Post 9/11 benefit. There are a lot more schools that say they offer VA benefits under the old Montgomery GI bill Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607 which is not the same as being able to utilize Post 9/11 benefits so be aware of that. It might be far from TN but Guidance Helicopters in Prescott AZ is starting up a program next semester with the local college. You may want to check out their website. best of luck

Sounds like you are doing your research and trying to make the most out of the new Post 9/11 benefit. There are a lot more schools that say they offer VA benefits under the old Montgomery GI bill Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607 which is not the same as being able to utilize Post 9/11 benefits so be aware of that. It might be far from TN but Guidance Helicopters in Prescott AZ is starting up a program next semester with the local college. You may want to check out their website. best of luck

I think I have looked into that school before. Only thing that bothers me, and I know it shouldnt really be a big deal, is that it is in the desert. After being over here, if I can help it, I really never want to go to another desert. Now, if it was for a job, then that would be ok, I will do whatever I have to. I have really been interested in the Northeast, like the Seattle, or Porland area. I am big into the outdoors, and it seems like that is a good area to be. Keep the suggestions coming, it is really helping! Also, I really dont mind how far I have to move, Im looking forward to the adventure.