R22/R44 Fractional/Timeshare Ownership - Help Needed

myice

Hello everyone,

Currently in the Houston market, helicopter schools will not rent outside of training, and there seems to be a lack of fractional ownership available for the R22/R44.

I am looking at purchasing the R22/R44 and offering a fractional/timeshare type of setup with online scheduling for around 10 individuals. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Would you guys consider such a program for yourselves?

Does the insurance carriers look down upon multiple partners in a heli? I have heard to stay away from PathFinder Insurance, what other insurance carriers are the most popular?

I guess I am just confused as to why there is such a lack of rentals or fractional ownership available for helicopter enthusiasts.

I appreciate all the feedback you can provide, & thanks for your time!

Does the insurance carriers look down upon multiple partners in a heli? I have heard to stay away from PathFinder Insurance, what other insurance carriers are the most popular?

First your insurance is based on your lowest common denominator. So if you have 10 pilots, all with over 10,000 accident free hours, and one new guy with 100 hours, often times your rate is now based on having 10 pilots and insuring anyone with a minimum of 100 hours. So whatever minimum ratings and hours you pick, your rates will be better if you are more selective.

So if everyone flying has 200 hours minimum with their commercial and instrument tickets, your rates will be less.

That said, why would you not consider Pathfinder? Realize that there are many differences between a Pathfinder policy and some others, but that doesnt make it bad...just different. If you want a lower premium and take on more risk yourselves, then Pathfinder may be for you.

If you want total coverage with all the bells and whistles, your premium will increase, and you'll buy it somewhere else.

I really can't recommend a particular insurer, as I am not a licensed broker, but I would look thru some of the more popular heli mags for the last two years. Some great articles written in there.

Also, keep looking for some time building schools or private opportunities, should be lots out there to choose from.

Good luck,

Goldy

First your insurance is based on your lowest common denominator. So if you have 10 pilots, all with over 10,000 accident free hours, and one new guy with 100 hours, often times your rate is now based on having 10 pilots and insuring anyone with a minimum of 100 hours. So whatever minimum ratings and hours you pick, your rates will be better if you are more selective.

So if everyone flying has 200 hours minimum with their commercial and instrument tickets, your rates will be less.

That said, why would you not consider Pathfinder? Realize that there are many differences between a Pathfinder policy and some others, but that doesnt make it bad...just different. If you want a lower premium and take on more risk yourselves, then Pathfinder may be for you.

If you want total coverage with all the bells and whistles, your premium will increase, and you'll buy it somewhere else.

I really can't recommend a particular insurer, as I am not a licensed broker, but I would look thru some of the more popular heli mags for the last two years. Some great articles written in there.

Also, keep looking for some time building schools or private opportunities, should be lots out there to choose from.

Good luck,

Goldy

Goldy, Having been in the Houston area for several years, I can understand myice's situation. The area schools do not rent out helicopters at all. The corporate operators are behind tight security fences and the 135 operators have other issues. Youy might want to talk with Tim Salika at Salika Aviation. I don't know if he rents out his helicopters or not, but he has been around for over 30 years and does know what is going on helicopter wise in Houston.