Light Sport time

knimer

Just sitting thinking, and wondered how employers rate light sport time. Say flying a rotorway (although they seem dangerous and all) But just wondered if you got an extra 100 hours in a rotorway after training in robbys to 200. Would employers count that the same?

Thanks for any input

Edited by knimer

First off there are no light sport helicopters, helicopters fall under experimental amateur built.

you can log time as long as it is not ultra light. I have heard of several that logged Turbine time in the Helicycles.

As for the Rotorways, I would avoid them, I have had several of them and they are a Money pit.

I would suggest the Safari Helicopter as it does have a true main rotor gear box and shaft driven tail rotor and the most important part a true aircraft engine.

I own the Fore father of the Safari - the single seat Helicom Commuter jr. H-1B N814S

I rebuilt it to resell to a guy that wanted a good helicopter to build time with, but the guy turned out to be a tire kicker.

so the Commuter will be for sale as soon as I get it test flown again. will be under $30,000

Good luck

Edited by Dreamin of a Commuter 2B

What's the upkeep like on one of them commuters?

to be honest I don't know yet, I would have to look it up, I just got my single seater in July and am now just to the point of test running it.

mine is a 1968 model single seat Commuter H-1B , they where designed to fly on 65 h.p.

mine has a Cont. C 90-12F converted to an 0-200. that drives the blades through a gear box, that I believe I read was 5:1 ratio , it has a centrifugal clutch with spragg clutch. empty weight is 620 pounds. mine was at one time owned by Timarand helicopters.

That is the company that had bought the design rights from Helicom.

The Company was later owned by Bob Dart and was called International Helicopters and then latter Murray Sweet of Canadian Home Rotors, it was then that they installed a bell-47 bubble and called it the Baby Belle, after Bell Textron threatened to sue for use of the name, it was renamed the Safari.

The Commuter first came out in 1960 and had a tricycle landing gear. I even found a set of full size of reprints of the original plans. later Pop designed the Commuter IIA 2 seat model of 125 h.p. then I believe it was Timarand that came out with the most sleek Commuter IIB,which is pictured in my avatar.

mine was last run in 1992 and even has log book endorsements from the Designer Harold POP Emigh.

the helicopter is welded 4130 Steel with fiberglass cover. I have done a complete tear down and rebuild of the airframe, the engine was pickled so it should be fine.

waiting for the weather to get better so I can test it. I tried to start it on new years but the starter did not engage the flywheel.

here is a link to my restoration.

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22141

My paper work is down in the shop,so I can't tell ya the time limits of the top of my head. but all the bearings are off the self. in fact the tail rotor bearings back in 1973 where about $1.50 each.

check out the link there are about 100 pages in the thread with Photos.

I would like to keep it and fly it but I don't have any type of rateing. when I sell this one, I have found a 2 seat project that has dual controls that I can have my CFI buddy train me in.

also you can see a nice 2B flying if a clip on youtube, just do a search for Commuter/Safari .