Brazil heli crash with video

deerock

Zman,

Don’t give up that easy. That was an astar spinning to the left. Can’t tell on the video but there's a chance he may have lost tail rotor thrust (tail rotor no longer working for some reason) resulting in the spinning. If that were the case and even if it weren't, you can roll the throttle off and enter autorotation (remove the torque will remove the spin). Chances are you would still bend the aircraft (who cares at that point) but you should be able to walk away from it.

I'm stuck in West Palm Beach due to a flight cancellation. I'll gather some sun and drink a beer for ya. See ya in Bemidji.

Later

Zman,

Don’t give up that easy. That was an astar spinning to the left. Can’t tell on the video but there's a chance he may have lost tail rotor thrust (tail rotor no longer working for some reason) resulting in the spinning. If that were the case and even if it weren't, you can roll the throttle off and enter autorotation (remove the torque will remove the spin). Chances are you would still bend the aircraft (who cares at that point) but you should be able to walk away from it.

I'm stuck in West Palm Beach due to a flight cancellation. I'll gather some sun and drink a beer for ya. See ya in Bemidji.

Later

have you been in an a-star? it's REALLY hard to roll the throttle off AND do any sort of autorotation. the throttle isn't on the collective. that's why us see 2 pilots practicing auto's in an A-star.

If that were the case and even if it weren't, you can roll the throttle off and enter autorotation (remove the torque will remove the spin).

Later

Ahh, i see. I wasnt sure if an auto would be the right call.... guess now i know.

yeah, have a beer or three for me.... luckey dog you, i missed the last three schedualed dual flights due to crappy weather, oh well, see ya at bemidji!