ATP question

I have been thinking of getting my ATP rating. How much will I gain with an ATP and if its even worth getting. Can anyone tell me what the oral would be like. What is the difference from the commercial oral. Does it matter what aircraft I use, R-22 or B206. I would appreciate any information or advice.

Thanks

Tom

Edited by Chopper Tom

I just completed my checkride yesterday for this rating. The oral depends on the examiner. My examiner bases his oral on what the pilot's experience and background. We discussed the aircraft limitations and emergency procedures. Then talked about CRM, HV curve, LTE, settling with power. He has done a lot of Navy helicopter pilots and spends more time with them discussing SWP and LTE.

The flight check is a combination of the instrument and commercial. The instrument portion includes a ILS and 2 Non precision approaches. Plus a steep turn and unusual attitudes. The rest of the checkride included 2 forced landings. One on takeoff and one enroute. A steep appoach and a quick stop.

I did it in a 300, because I have experience in the machine and didn't want to spend too much on this rating. If you do it, do it in a machine you are familiar and comfortable in.

Good luck.

The oral I got was on aircraft systems. Basically, it went "Tell me about the fuel system. Tell me about the powerplant system", and so forth. Simple questions, but it required a lot of explanation. When the examiner was sure I knew the subject, he said "That's enough. Now tell me about ...". Know the aircraft, its systems, and the performance charts cold. The ride is exactly what I'd had as an instrument PIC checkride for years - 2 ILS approaches, with one as single-engine, 2 non-precision approaches, holding, emergency procedures, etc. It will depend on the aircraft you're using. In a 412, there were no autos, just OEI procedures.

Having an ATP can enhance your job chances, and may increase your starting pay, depending on the company and the job. Most companies look for an ATP, although you'll almost certainly never use it. An ATP is only required for Part 121 and scheduled Part 135 captains, and there are very few of those operations around. It's just more evidence that you have experience.

The oral I got was on aircraft systems. Basically, it went "Tell me about the fuel system. Tell me about the powerplant system", and so forth. Simple questions, but it required a lot of explanation. When the examiner was sure I knew the subject, he said "That's enough. Now tell me about ...". Know the aircraft, its systems, and the performance charts cold. The ride is exactly what I'd had as an instrument PIC checkride for years - 2 ILS approaches, with one as single-engine, 2 non-precision approaches, holding, emergency procedures, etc. It will depend on the aircraft you're using. In a 412, there were no autos, just OEI procedures.

Having an ATP can enhance your job chances, and may increase your starting pay, depending on the company and the job. Most companies look for an ATP, although you'll almost certainly never use it. An ATP is only required for Part 121 and scheduled Part 135 captains, and there are very few of those operations around. It's just more evidence that you have experience.

My examiner used the emergency procedures to check systems knowledge, even though there is not too much to test on a 300CB. In a single engine helicopter you only have to do 1 ILS. The ATP ride is the same as the Part 135 IFR PIC 6 month check.

Many companies overseas, do require the ATP, which is why US pilots have a lesser chance of getting these jobs.