PPL(h) then Fixed wing IR

Hello folks,

I'm considering my Instrument rating, after completing my PPL(h) last year. Someone once told me that instead of doing the IR in a helicopter, you could do it fixed wing then convert afterwards, which would also give you a fixed wing license as a benefit.

Has anyone done this, and if so was it worth the trouble? I can imagine it'll save a few dollars as fixed wing time is much cheaper than rotary.

Thanks in advance.

M5

I could see where getting your instrument ticket on the fixed wing side would be helpful... you could actually get some in the clouds/real instrument experience.

Would it be beneficual enough to justify the money, I don't know. I've thought about it myself but can't decide whether or not to do it.

You're not going to save any money, unless you already have a PPL in Airplanes. Because you will need to have a Private in order to take the checkride.

Now, if you just want to build some of the 40 hrs in an airplane, simulator, FTD, that would save you some cash. You need a minimum of 40 hrs total--20 of which has to be instruction, 15 of which needs to be in the cat/class you're going for.

Not sure what your plans are, but if you're ultimately trying to build helicopter time, do the 40 hrs in a helicopter. You're going to need that 40 hrs anyway, why not get your instrument at the same time.

I already had about 25 hrs of airplane instrument time, so when I went for my instrument & CFII in Roto/Heli, I just needed 15 hrs of helicopter instrument time. It saved me time and money, but I was already an airplane pilot and had built that time years ago in training.

I've seen this topic many times. Just remember, if you are going for a helicopter career, you are going to have to buy at least 200hrs of helicopter time. I can't imagine a dual rating being worth anything unless you're willing to take them both to CFi.

If you want to save some money, just do as much simulator time as is aloud.

I went the fixed wing option first. I saved a lot of money. The down fall is if you look at all the job adds it states they want (example EMS) 50 to 100 hrs helicopter Instrument. I would really consider using the helicopter over the plane. I don’t regret what I did because it worked for me, but if you need the helicopter time anyway, I would stick with the helicopter. The fixed wing instrument time is good, but some employers won’t count the time towards their requirements. I hope this helps.

If your plan is to follow the train-teach-tours/gom-etc. path, just stick to the helicopter. With less than 100hrs total time you might not want to be switching back and forth anyway. Focus on accomplishing your primary goals until you are established on some successful course. If you want to fly planes for fun, it'll be a breeze to get your add-on later at whatever level you want. And it may eventually have career benefits as well!

Remember, the quickest way out is straight through - meaning don't try to cut corners because so far I've only seen people meander and get lost and take even longer and spend more money. Keep your eyes on the prize!! :)

Fly safe.

HG03

There were some proposed changes to 61.65(a) that would have allowed the concurrent issuance of a PPL and instrument rating.

61.65(a)(1). Proposal to permit the application for and the issuance of an instrument rating concurrently with a private pilot certificate for pilots.

Would this have any effect on the balance sheet? If it doesn't, what's the intent behind this change anyway?

There were some proposed changes to 61.65(a) that would have allowed the concurrent issuance of a PPL and instrument rating.

Would this have any effect on the balance sheet? If it doesn't, what's the intent behind this change anyway?

http://classicjets.org/docs/6158_NPRM/FAA-2008-0938-0334.pdf

Page 3