Safety: Rotor vs Fixed Wing

The way that I see it is that a person should not really worry about which one makes more money. I would think of the whole situation as far as what job suits the person better. If there is a question, fly both fixed wing and then rotorcraft and see what one is a better match. The one that feels better, go with.

I had a very well paying job before I started the flying career, I probably will not achieve the income that I made before I started flying for many, many years (if at all). I wanted to, and became a helicopter pilot because I tried flying helicopters and loved it. At this point, making tons of money would be great, but having a job (if I can even call it that) that I love is much more important to me.

My whole point is that a person should follow their dreams and do what they would love to do, and not follow what a potential income would be.

Pohl.. I know where you are coming from.. I'm not a mercenary just in it for the money. I've flown just a couple of intro hours in a helicopter and in a Cessna. In my youth I worked on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, chalking and chaining jets. Jets are the thing in the military but helicopters are the thing in the civilian world. More variation, more adventure, hovering, better view.

I do not have a lot of flying experience and I pray that I can get financing but I have read these forums for a couple of years and guys like "Frye" and others are always like your never gonna make it don't waste your time/money.

I love to ski and snowboard, doing a heli-ski operation would be the dream job somewhere. But it is kind of nice that planes "fly themselves" and you make more i guess. I'll have a lot of determination, but I just don't wanna get hung up in debt with no future if it's like what everyone says it's like. It seems like pilots are partially negative, probably because of the economy, yet flight schools are "optimistic" because of baby boomers retiring. So I am just looking for perspective.

I'll say it until the day I go down....its not what you know, its not how many hours you have. Its your atitude, your willingness...and WHO you know that will make you successful. Helicopters are no different. If you dont have those three things, all the certificates and hours in the world are not going to put you in your dream job.

I have a friend that is a pilot in a Erickson Aircrane (64E). Not many guys get to fly that monster. Yes, he has the time, he has the certificates, but thats not what got him the job. When you are hiring one guy for every 200 resumes...how would you pick which one gets the offer?