Written and VIDEO Feature

AdminLB

Howdy all,

I recently went to FlightSafety International for some S76 training. While there I took some pics and video and threw together a written & video feature.

Might be interesting to some who have never experienced training with FlightSafety International. The simulator technology is truly amazing. B)

Link to article and pics here, link to video is at bottom of article:

CLICK HERE FOR FULL FEATURE

I have done the FSI course on the S76 four times now, and I agree that it is an excellent course.

Specially loved taking off from the E34th St helipad in NYC, losing an engine straight away, popping the floats and Chesley Sullenberging into the Hudson. The sim bobs around on the water and makes water bubbling noises as well!

Lyn,

Great video. As mentioned before, can I be of help with the sound mix? I can fix all of those problems with the stereo vs. mono, your VoiceOver edits, dialog on left side only problems and dig out the roomy dialog in the interviews that are really hard to hear. Let me know...really needs some sound help. No charge.

Derek

derek@blenderpost.com

Lyn,

Great video. As mentioned before, can I be of help with the sound mix? I can fix all of those problems with the stereo vs. mono, your VoiceOver edits, dialog on left side only problems and dig out the roomy dialog in the interviews that are really hard to hear. Let me know...really needs some sound help. No charge.

Derek

derek@blenderpost.com

Thanks Derek. I could use some tips and help for sound. That was a hard gig as the sim bay has a really loud hum to it. It was more than I anticipated once I got to the edit table. I use Soundtrack Pro for audio. When I cut out a sample and used it to run a noise reduction, it made my voice sound kind of robotic. Having the hum in the background sounded more realistic. I will email you my phone number and we can talk more about how I approached sound on this location. Sound is much harder than video to me!

great. I have a piece of software that just does that, that costs more than the whole Final Cut Pro suite. So it should help a lot.

I didn't see an email so just call me at (818) 968-6700 when you get free time, and we can discuss what I need from you to fix it for you...plus talk about your camera and microphone to see if we can help that at all too maybe. but most of it is 'fix it in post'

Edited by deerock

Lyn, Great stuff!! Let's us little guys know what we are missing.. i liked the whole thing, the way some of it sped up and then slowed down, the music in the back ground that came and went.. and my favorite, the way the video peeled up in the corner for your logo!!

awesome!!!

dp

Had a chance to fly the S76 sim at Simuflite in Morristown, NJ a couple of years ago. Wanted to take it home with me. Not the S76, but the sim. It's operating costs are more within my budget. On the other hand, it seems the sims seem to have a lot more problems then the real aircraft. 'Please can I go back on the line, where it's safe?'

While the technology is allowing helicopter training to catch up to where the FW world is now, it still has a long way to go. While we have seen simulators for the PC12, CE208 and they like for several years, we don't see sims for the BH206/407 or Astar. We do see FTD's, but no sims. Some that comes down to cost. Plus the number of available sims. FSI has 40 centers, but only 4 helicopter centers.

Personally, the mom and pop flight schools could learn a lot from how FSI conducts their ground training. Much of the available systems material for training helicopters is very poor to non-existent.

[quote name='rick1128' date='17 April 2010 - 07:09 AM'

Personally, the mom and pop flight schools could learn a lot from how FSI conducts their ground training. Much of the available systems material for training helicopters is very poor to non-existent.

That's exactly what i was thinking Rick.. i would love to visit just to see how they do things as they look like they are on a completely different level.. i'm sure we could learn a lot....

dp