Ship down in Spokane, Felts Field

"Actually I saw parts of the blade come apart and fall out of the sky is basically what happened," Sergeant said. "Then it turned like this and just went straight down. There was a boom right after that."

Can anyone speculate? What is the most likely reason for blades departing from mast? Could that have happened if he was in an "auto" and over-sped blades?

There were also reports that the engine was sputtering?

I hate mysterious accident stories because we can not learn from them.

• Like 1

"Can anyone speculate? What is the most likely reason for blades departing from mast? Could that have happened if he was in an "auto" and over-sped blades? There were also reports that the engine was sputtering?"

Since we're "speculating"... the student pilot got carb ice, then the low rotor rpm horn, then incorrectly recovered striking the tail boom with the rotor, then fell to the ground.

Rest in Peace.

From the way the helicopter is on its right side I'd say Low G Mast Bumping. For some reason the pilot encountered low g and probably gave lateral cyclic bumping the mast (note* if you ever encounter this give aft cyclic), this would explain pieces of the rotor blade coming off. also the right side of the cabin is crushed so the helicopter tiled forward because of weight and to the right side because the tail rotor was still producing thrust, that's probably how it ended up like that in the picture

"The tail section of the helicopter was found in the backyard of a home east of Felts Field while the rest of the airframe was found several meters down the road near another home."

Sounds like the rotor unloaded and bumped the mast to the point of chopping the tailboom off. I can't speculate on the cause. Would explain the "I saw parts of the blade come apart and fall out of the sky" and "it looked like he was just spinning around out of control". Really lame, another one.

I talked to Dave the owner and he will let me know more when he finds out more but he would not elaborate on the cause. He said it was a really new student that just got signed off to solo. My condolences to the pilot's family and to all closely involved including Inland Helicopters.

That news report was a little off-track.

"The NTSB database shows 10 crashes of Robinson R22 helicopters since 2007; before Wednesday's crash near Felts Field, only of those 10 crashes of Robinson R22 helicopters

involved a fatality."

From 6/1/2009 to 6/1/2010 (1 year period) there were:

24 R22 accidents/incidents recorded (3 outside U.S.)

17 nonfatal

7 fatal (3 outside U.S)

11 total fatalities (4 outside U.S)

That's about 1 fatality per month.

Edited by iChris

Can anyone speculate?

I speculate…

…that media reports on aviation accidents are notoriously inaccurate and WRONG!

…that “eyewitness” accounts are notoriously inaccurate and WRONG!

The fact of the matter is that possibly very little of the information we have learned of this tragic accident is accurate. Why don’t we do this young aviator and his loved ones, friends, instructors, and colleagues a favor and NOT speculate. As much as we all want to know and learn from the circumstances of this or any accident, these early moments can be especially tender for those who were closest to the involved. Let’s allow the NTSB to do their investigation and bring what facts they can to light. Let’s wait for their Probable Cause finding. To do anything else is to further injure those who are just now starting their long journey of sorrow and grief.

If you want to discuss accidents in the hypothetical, based on conjecture, then maybe that is best done under a separate topic not associated directly to this accident. Honor this pilot’s legacy with rigorous review of your own practices towards safe flying.

To Peter Hecker’s family, friends, instructors, and colleagues; sincere condolences for the terrible loss you have suffered.

I fail to see where "speculation" = "disrespect".

You can have sympathy, empathy and respect while "wondering" what happened.

True.. but the ones who are really wondering what happened, his grieving friends and family, may, in their anguished search for answers look to a source like this. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you want to read uninformed comments that might cast a less-than-favorable light? What would help their healing; reminders of his strength & commitment to his passion, one that most of us share, or criticism of his performance?