Cheap time building...who are they?

I have noticed from time to time that some people post cheap time building etc. on this forum. I also notice that they usually get a hit or two and then fade out. Maybe its just me but they never seem to post or reply about anything else that the rest of us do. I know I would love, at some point, to be able to take advantage of these "deals" but am guarded because they seem a little fly by night because of the otherwise lack of involvement on the forum and the perceived anonymity that results. Also, the few I have responded to always seem to be vague with their info. Has anyone here ever connected with one of these offers and has it been a good or bad experience if so? Also, does anyone have some advise as to what questions need to be asked and bases that need covered if one were to take one of these offers up? I am a ways out from doing something like this but experience dictates that it is never too early to start asking questions.

I talked to the guy on the phone last time it was up. It is $99 an hour. You pay for all the hours you want up front and he has you come to where ever it is and ferry it back to your home base after a checkout that you pay for. He pays all maintenance and you pay for fuel. he is looking for long term renters but will progress rent short term if he doesn't have anything else. He seems like a cool guy and last I herd he was looking for a contract pilot to do traffic patrol in Utah

I'm one of those guys who have offered cheap time building in the past. Am currently flying in Alaska but will be offering time building and instruction again in the fall and winter, late September to late March. The cost is $150. to $175. per hour depending on how much the helicopter flies each month and the cost of fuel. The cost is wet with CFI. The flying has been in WA and BC. I am a CFI and have done ab initio through advanced training (mountain, bush/confined, stuck pedal, etc). My couch is free for surfing if you fly out of Pemberton BC. You don't have to pay up front, but I do need to be payed for the hours as they are flown.

There are basically three types of “time building” opportunities out there.

1) A commercial operator that is selling an empty seat for additional revenue. This usually is the least expensive but has more restrictions such as, you have to fly where and when they want to due to their other operation.

2) An owner that wants to offset some of their ownership costs by allowing others to rent his helicopter. Cost a little more usually, as they are not getting revenue from another source, too. This usually has more freedom as you can fly when and where you want.

3) A person that allows someone to fly with them for free for the added experience of the lower time pilot. Few and far between in today’s world.

Questions one should ask? These are in no order, just things to consider.

• Price? What is included?

• Who owns the helicopter?

• Who maintains the helicopter?

• Insurance: Does the helicopter have personal & business or full commercial? Important!

• Where & When can I fly?

• Local or x-c flying available? (x-c, expenses for the person going with you?)

Following are a couple of things that some may offer to help get business:

• At the home base of the helicopter, do they pick/drop you up/off at the nearest airline airport? (in car or helicopter)

• Does the home base provide any housing while flying local?

Hope this helps.

edspilot

All good points edspilot. Thanks for the input. Whistlerpilot, sounds like a good deal. Too bad I don't live in Canada. By the way, how much per hour for the heli-helmet, and is the unicycle extra?

I will fly in the Seattle to Whistler corridor so come on up to the Pacific NW.

Unicycle lessons are free, it takes about 10 hours on average to learn how. That's twice as long as I've seen most folks learn how to pick up, set down, and hover the helicopter.

• Price? What is included?

$150.00 to $175.00 per hour (depends on fuel cost and number of hours flown) includes fuel, 1000 hr CFI, insurance and free accomodation at my place.

• Who owns the helicopter?

Emerald City Aircraft Leasing, Seattle WA

• Who maintains the helicopter?

Emerald City Aircraft Leasing.

• Insurance: Does the helicopter have personal & business or full commercial? Important!

Full commercial covered for instruction and rental.

• Where & When can I fly?

Washington State and Whistler/Pemberton British Columbia, late September thru December, and all winter any time after 5pm.

• Local or x-c flying available? (x-c, expenses for the person going with you?)

You pay for the hours we fly where you want to. Specializing in Mountain Flying, Confined and Bush techniques.

Following are a couple of things that some may offer to help get business:

• At the home base of the helicopter, do they pick/drop you up/off at the nearest airline airport? (in car or helicopter)

Pick ups by helicopter or car from Seattle or Vancouver BC.

• Does the home base provide any housing while flying local?

Free couch surfing while flying in Pemberton BC.