Part 61 Comm. requirements...

I have a high time fixed wing ATP who holds private and instrument ratings for helicopter getting a commercial ticket now. Reading the FAR plus the new changes for it I assume i can now count previous cross countries that were IFR as counting for the 2hr day/night XC requirement as the word VFR is now gone. But the bigger issue is the 20hours of training/dual does that have to be done is pursuit of the rating or can any dual provided it was covering the aeronautical experience count? Also, since they stat the 10hrs solo can be done with an CFI on board, does that mean it can be done as dual instruction or am i along for the ride? Plus if its allowed to be done as dual, can those 10 hours just get roped into the previous 20hrs of dual required?

I have a high time fixed wing ATP who holds private and instrument ratings for helicopter getting a commercial ticket now. Reading the FAR plus the new changes for it I assume i can now count previous cross countries that were IFR as counting for the 2hr day/night XC requirement as the word VFR is now gone. But the bigger issue is the 20hours of training/dual does that have to be done is pursuit of the rating or can any dual provided it was covering the aeronautical experience count? Also, since they stat the 10hrs solo can be done with an CFI on board, does that mean it can be done as dual instruction or am i along for the ride? Plus if its allowed to be done as dual, can those 10 hours just get roped into the previous 20hrs of dual required?

Lets see- yes, no, yes, yes, no no. Or something like that!

Basically two statements should clear it up. Each set of requirements stand alone and does not count earlier time. So if the commercial req's say 5 hours of instrument time, then that 5 hours needs to be at some point AFTER meeting the private or instrument requirements.

Also, anytime you see the word "training" that means a CFI and a pilot. So, if you re-read that section now, I think you will see you have to be along for some of those rides, and it is logged as dual.

Each section is a separate requirement that has to be met.

Fly safe,

Goldy

Edited by Goldy
  • Like 1

Well the wording is a little better than that....

10 hours of solo time in a helicopter or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a helicopter with an authorized instructor on board (either of which may be credited towards the flight time requirement under paragraph © (2) of this section on the areas of operation listed under 61.127 (B)(3)

So i could ride along with him, but it is not going to be considered dual otherwise they would have said dual. So that means i cannot log the time by default of giving dual.