Border Patrol paying for ground school?

Hey. My name is Ashley and I've just recently become interested in flying. My dad is a CW5 in the army and was a helicopter pilot for them until they just grounded him due to his 60th birthday.

Well, I was chatting with him about getting my private pilots license and all the money and time that it takes. He offered joining the reserves and they would pay for my flight school, but he also mentioned maybe the border patrol would hire me and pay for my ground and/or flight school.

I'm just curious if anyone has any information on that? I'm doing some research now, but thought a post wouldn't hurt to try and get some extra information.

Thanks,

Ashley

Edited by 67november
spelling

A buddy of mine has been with CBP since the late 80's, and I've never heard of anything like that. I know there are a few CBP guys on the forum and they can give you a better answer than I can though.

Ashley:

No, CBP does not give you your private pilot license. Most of the flying jobs in CBP are professional pilot jobs, meaning you need to be a pilot first and then they will train you to become a cop.

If however, you want to be a cop first (2 to 5 years) and have your PPL, many other law enforcement agencies will train you to a commercial level and let you fly. This goes for PDs and SOs across the country. This is a longer process and their is no promise at the begining you will be selected.

Wish I had a better answer for you.

edspilot