WOFT Flight Physical

Hello Everyone,

I just stumbled upon this site and I really wish I found it several months ago. It would have saved me a lot of mental anguish trying to put together my WOFT packet.

Anyways I have a few questions about the flight physical. I had a flight physical done September 25 2009 as a USMC OCS applicant. At the request of my recruiter, I had this flight physical and the associated lab work sent to him, so he could send it off to Ft Rucker. Is Ft Rucker going to accept a physical done to Navy/USMC standards or will I be told to do it again?

Even if they do accept it, it will expire soon as it is over a year old. I know I need one that will carry me until the end of WOCS. My question is do I need that before I am selected, or can I get selected and then update my physical? My recruiter is reluctant to schedule another one when I have one on file. Is there a way I can contact an Army flight surgeon to request a physical myself? How do I locate an Army flight surgeon (I'm in Worcester, MA)?

Thanks in advance for your response.

hmmm... tough question. I know an Army Class 1A flight phys is good for 18 months, and it needs to carry you all the way to Rucker after basic.

I'm pretty sure the flight phys needs to be done by an Army Flight Surgeon, otherwise they would have sent me to the local Air Force base, or the Marine base in San Diego to have my flight phys done there. Instead they sent me to Washington State which is def. the most costly of the three options.

Tmq: I'm from the Cape. We get our physicals done at the Coast Guard Air Station, out at Westfield by the Air Force, or by Army Flight Surgeons at Indiantown Gap in PA. Other services can do the physical. They send the results down to Mother Rucker just like Army FS's do. The biggest difference I noticed was that the first one I got done at the CGAS before deploying/flight school, I needed a waiver for my PRK, and they wouldn't/couldn't give it to me, so the physical was a wash. Since then, I've had one done at each of the locations I mentioned.

I don't know if your USMC physical would be acceptable, or not, though. Even if it's valid through when it needs to be, and they accept it, you'll get to take another one after WOCS, before you sit in a cockpit.

Class 1 physicals are valid for 18 months:

a)to get you aligned with your birth quarter, which is when they're supposed to be taken

b)at the discretion of Fort Rucker, when you're actually there.

Thanks for the information. I initially requested the "complete flight physical" from the Naval clinic in Newport and had it sent to Rucker. Rucker told my recruiter they needed the lab work too (which I geuss is seperate for some reason). So I had that sent down too. I geuss the fact that they requested more info instead of just rejecting it can be seen as a good sign but my recruiter thinks its possible they need info that won't be in the additional lab work I sent down. I will try to get in touch with an Army flight surgeon to see if they can help me out.

• 1 month later...

Update: the flight surgeon at Ft Rucker decided my USMC Flight Physical was no good, so my recruiter requested a new one. I am scheduled to take a new flight physical at Hanscom AF base of all places, on Jan 11. I hope this means I can be on the February board.

I have another question for someone who is more knowledgeable about the selection process. I already went before the interview board with a PT score of 240. That PT score was 5 months ago and I know I could do much better now. My recruiter says I can't post an improved score now, because the score for the interview board and the USAREC board have to match. I though I read that the Army allows improvements/updates if you are FQ-NS before your second look. I don't see how this would be different but then again I'm not making Army WOFT policy. Am I allowed to improve my score before the USAREC board or not?

Edited by TmqWard

Update: the flight surgeon at Ft Rucker decided my USMC Flight Physical was no good, so my recruiter requested a new one. I am scheduled to take a new flight physical at Hanscom AF base of all places, on Jan 11. I hope this means I can be on the February board.

I have another question for someone who is more knowledgeable about the selection process. I already went before the interview board with a PT score of 240. That PT score was 5 months ago and I know I could do much better now. My recruiter says I can't post an improved score now, because the score for the interview board and the USAREC board have to match. I though I read that the Army allows improvements/updates if you are FQ-NS before your second look. I don't see how this would be different but then again I'm not making Army WOFT policy. Am I allowed to improve my score before the USAREC board or not?

Heck yes you can improve! Get out there and get that 300.