canadian pilots?

uberchris

Just wondering if there any pilots in canada who post on this forum?

If so i was wondering how the opportunities for jobs are in canada for new commercial pilots just out of flight training? Are they better than here in the states or is it just plain tough for new CFI's to break in everywhere? i have dual canadian citizenship and have applied for proof recently. By the time im done with flight training here in the states i should have a passport and have become interested in moving to canada for a while. from the little research ive done, it seems like its not very difficult to transfer your FAA ratings to TCCA pilot licenses................

anyone up there?

thanks

chris

I'm not from canada, but I had done quite a bit of research into training up there. From what I found, its less common to go from 0 to CFI and teaching other students, and more likely for you to be able to go to CPL and start getting some AG or other work. CFI jobs seemed to be more of the cush job high time pilots got so they get to be home every night. YMMV though, so always do your own research, as mine is a few years outdated now.

You should contact Phil Croucher at Caledonian Advanced Pilot Training(CAPT) www.captonline.com in the UK. I think he used to work for Transport Canada and he's written a bunch of books on helicopter ops. CAPT specializes in conversions. I used his books for my FAA-JAA conversion. I think they do a Canadian conversion course also. If he doesn't do it, he'll at least be able to point you in the right direction.

• Like 1

My two cents,

I am Canadian and have been cpl since 2004. I got prety lucky...and at 29 years old, got the job with my personalilty/background vs. my number of hours (105 hrs. with a bho6 and r44 endorsement). I now have over 2000 hours of which 1000 astar and another 500 on various turbines. The key is longline and mountain skill for canada.

Companies in Canada have a lot of resumes to pull from these days...and they no longer look, just at hours! I got a lot of work and opportunity over higher time guys because my first 1000 hours were QUALITY hours. Slinging, camps, mountain work, skiing, even good corporate work. I have been fighting fires mainly in bc and Australia the last couple of years...and it is still somewhat hard to come through the front door with less than 3000 hours (to most companies).

In Canada, you need an endorsemnet on EACH type of helicopter!! That said...try and get yourself to the front of the line! CFI's in Canada are older retired types (i think you need 1000 hours to be an instructor so why would you go backwards once you get the hours). If you are coming up to canada, this is what I would do. A lot of guys are going to dis agree with me, but...Get an astar endorsement, and then go look for a job with a company that does a lot of utility work, but more importantly runs R44, jet rangers, but is heavier on the astars. This is where the first 2-3000 hours are! You should be to the front of the line because the $5000 to 8000 dollars they are going to spend on you (for the endorsement) will be looked upon as skills development (say longlineing) rather than teaching you how to start and land and take off in an astar. Again, you are trying to be a better employment opportunity than all the other guys trying to get the job. You will still start on the small stuff, but if you are endorsed you will get the maintanece and ferry flights...and you will be off to the races!!

Just my thoughts,

Zippy

• Like 1

i have dual canadian citizenship and have applied for proof recently.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I applied for and got dual citizenship due to one of my parents being born there. What do you mean "applied for proof"? Are you just referring to the process of getting your ID card? Just wondering if I missed a step. I've also been interested in flying in Canada, but I hear that times are tough up there for the operators due to slow fire seasons.

so i sincerely appreciate everyones thoughts and input. Darren thanks for the contact info and ill see if i can get in touch with phil croucher to get steered in the right direction. And zippy, very good points, i definitely appreciate it. I suppose that early on i need to start getting in touch with companies and with people to try to make some contacts and just get my name out there. This is going to be quite a fight but im not gonna stop until im flying for a living. i have a kush job in the coast guard with full benefits, and im giving this sh*t up because its not in my heart.......

thanks all

chris

...Get an astar endorsement, and then go look for a job with a company that does a lot of utility work, but more importantly runs R44, jet rangers, but is heavier on the astars...

What does it take to get an Astar endorsement, i.e. how many hours, type of training? :huh:

I have around 10 hours in a Jet Ranger, but no endorsement. The only endorsements I have are for the R44/R22. As far as I know, those are the only two helicopters for which the FAA requires them?

Is there a website specifically for Canadian pilot jobs, or do you have to drive around, inquiring door to door?

:)

An endorsment on a "type" has no set hours. A pilot already endorsed, and has at least 10 hours on type...must train you, and sign "certifiy" the endorsment. You then submit your log book to Transport Canada for review. They will then issue a fresh license, with that type on it.

It is straight forward and simple...however, lets say your five hours (about the min.) flight time should be majority emergencies. A good guy 'trainer" will spend hours in the hangar going over the machine, and you should spend days in the flight manual.

Transport is really starting to force the hand of endorsing certifications, thus you wont find too many guys that will sign on behalf of a guy who cant fly the machine....which should include shutting the engine off at 1000 feet!!

We have annual transport check rides (emergencies) so any bogus endorsment is pretty apparent to these guys...and the certifier is on the hook too! It is actually a pretty good system as it is training with no real substantial cost, as most the learning is done in the hangar and then on the ramp. Typically (but not necessary) they are a company, in house, program, thus you really learn the machines, because the company wants you to know you s**t! FLight schools will do endorsements too.

Transport Canada website has all the laws and good info you will need!

Zippy

• Like 1

so i sincerely appreciate everyones thoughts and input. Darren thanks for the contact info and ill see if i can get in touch with phil croucher to get steered in the right direction. And zippy, very good points, i definitely appreciate it. I suppose that early on i need to start getting in touch with companies and with people to try to make some contacts and just get my name out there. This is going to be quite a fight but im not gonna stop until im flying for a living. i have a kush job in the coast guard with full benefits, and im giving this sh*t up because its not in my heart.......

thanks all

chris

Hey Chris,

It's different up here in Canada.... You can't just go straight into instructing. Once you get your commercial license you must then build a minimum of 250 hrs PIC time to even qualify for your instructor rating. Even if you you have an instructor rating from the US you must gain a TC license including exams plus a ride. Your ride with TC will then award you a level at which they believe your are at i.e. Class 4, 3, 2, or 1........ If you don't have an instructor rating you then would need another 30 hours dual with a qualified TC Class 1 instructor who holds the required TC rating ( can't remember what it's called) to recommend you for a instructor ride with TC. You at this point can only achieve a class IV level. From there you can move up the levels with so many solo recommends followed by flight test recommends.....etc....

On the good side of things, in my experience there is a shortage of instructors in Canada. If you hold at least a class III or higher you most likely can find work up here.

Best of luck.

On the good side of things, in my experience there is a shortage of instructors in Canada. If you hold at least a class III or higher you most likely can find work up here.

How are they on students? :huh:

Hey UC,

Use every advantage you have to get working as a helicopter pilot. I'm also a dual citizen, born in the US presently living in Canada. I've worked both sides of the border and can give you my observations.

In Canada there are really no entry level low time flight instructing jobs. Most instructors are very high time in the mature phase of their career after many years of operational flying.

If you want to work in Canada as a low time pilot you should probably train there. If you are a fresh out of school FAA trained pilot it would be harder to get going in the Canadian system. On the other hand if you can get a bunch of operational experience in the US first you might find it easier to find work in Canada with over 1000 hours.

I'm guessing with the economy now no more than 10% of newly licensed pilots find work in Canada. It generally takes a few years of working as ground crew to get going.

In my opinion it's easier to find work as a low time pilot in the US than Canada. At least in the US there is about one CFI job for every 4 or 5 students so the odds appear to be around 25% of new CFI's can find work.

Here is an option open to you. Do your private FAA in the US because it's cheaper around $12500 to $15000. Then a 60 hour conversion course to get the TC commercial which will be around $30000. Then go back to the US and do your instrument for around $12000 to $15000. You will only need a bit more training and then you will have the hours to do the FAA commercial. So for $55000. to $60000. you get both. I would suggest you do the FAA CFI too which would be another $5000.

Then you will have the option to look for work as a low time pilot on either side of the border!

• Like 1

How are they on students? :huh:

If I think what you are asking is how is Canada doing for interested students?

The school I taught at had a waiting list every year..... most schools I hear are doing very well for the most part. I know of 3 Class III positions open for hire right now in Canada and they are having a tough time filling the positions. Generally if you have your Instructor rating you are employed.

Cheers