Finally starting my packet.

After months of debating what I wanted to do, I have finally decided to begin my packet in the next couple weeks. I am beyond ready to get things going, so now I am just getting my thoughts in order and preparing to go visit a recruiter.

I am figuring out now what I need to do before I go see a recruiter, primarily getting ready for a PT test. I want to get as close as I can to a perfect score. If anyone can give me some advice on things to do before I go, I would be thankful.

Also, this coming weekend I am planning to make a trip down to Fort Rucker. So if anyone is going to be there and would be willing to meet me, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks to everyone on this forum. I have learned so much information from the people here, and this will be the first place I come to throughout my process.

Thanks!

First thing is if you have not visited a recruiter is to go visit them and find one that will be able and welling to work with about doing WOFT packet. I've herd stories of people just getting the run around and poor recruiters that just are not welling to work with you because it can be long process Vs a regular person joining the Army.

If you have not started anything yet with a recruiter i would not worry to much about the PT test. It took me 11 months to do my packet and i did my PT test about 7 months in. The first thing your going to do is a practice ASVAB test then if your good there they will send you into MEPS some time and you will take the real ASVAB.

I ship out in 14 days for WOFT.(street to seat) If there is anything else you need Q's for let me know.

I plan to go visit a recruiter soon. Most likely early next week. I am hoping I will manage to be lucky and get someone willing to help me on the first try, but you never know. Either way I know that the process is mostly on me, so it will get done no matter what.

When it comes to practicing the ASVAB and AFAST, what are the best study guides? I have recently gone through the forums and I remember seeing a couple topics on study guides, so I will go back through and find them. That is my first step. As for you, how did you prepare for these things?

I will send you a PM in a minute and ask a few questions.

Thanks.

For the ASVAB I picked up a regular study guide from Borders. Before I took it I had not even remotely looked at basic math/mechanics etc. in years and ended up with a GT score of 120 (I think...I took that think back in April 2010).

For the AFAST, I studied my BUTT off using online references (which I'll link below), the FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook (here: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/faa-h-8083-21.pdf) and Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests.

However I DO NOT recommend the Barron's book because of the amount of absurd errors in it. I was doing practice tests and failing miserably on some of them wondering WHAT I was doing wrong - which was nothing, they were wrong. :)

Here are the links I used from various websites. I know there's a lot and it's overwhelming but I know they will be great resources for you! Good luck and don't take the AFAST unless you KNOW you can score well!

http://www.helicopterpage.com/index.html

http://www.copters.com/helo_aero.html

http://www.flightschoolstudyguide.com/default.aspx

http://www.tpub.com/content/armyaviation/AL0966/

http://flightschoolstudyguide.com/resources.aspx

http://www.aviationtrainer.com/

http://www.baseops.net/ft_rucker/

I plan to go visit a recruiter soon. Most likely early next week. I am hoping I will manage to be lucky and get someone willing to help me on the first try, but you never know. Either way I know that the process is mostly on me, so it will get done no matter what.

When it comes to practicing the ASVAB and AFAST, what are the best study guides? I have recently gone through the forums and I remember seeing a couple topics on study guides, so I will go back through and find them. That is my first step. As for you, how did you prepare for these things?

I will send you a PM in a minute and ask a few questions.

Thanks.

That is great to know. Do you remember the name of the guide, or was it just a simple "ASVAB Study Guide"? I took the ASVAB back in my junior year of high school and made a 75/99 on it with no studying at all, but I have no idea what my GT score was. Never understood how to figure it out.

I have heard that the Barron's guide is very off, so I will steer clear of that one. I can't thank you enough for all the links! I am going to save them now and go through them tonight just to get an idea of what's ahead of me. And I bet you felt great once you figured out it wasn't you that was wrong! ;)

I definitely will not take any of the tests until I am ready. That is one thing I have learned over time. I have changed plans and have decided to go visit a recruiter tomorrow to get this thing going. After almost a year of research, I am about to begin my journey.

Thanks everyone!

I think its two years before a ASVAB score can be taken again. I don't know how long it has been for you but if that was less then 2 years ago then you can use that score. I think with a 75 your GT score should be over a 110, not positive. I got a 61 and got a 110GT. When you see your recruiter he can tell you about that remember to tell him you took it.

Good luck visiting a recruiter! I hope you find the right one the first time (I got lucky on my first try)!

As for the ASVAB book, there's a whole wall of them at Borders/Barnes & Noble/wherever. Just pick a couple up and find on that fits you best. I don't remember the name of one I had but I'm sure they are all relatively the same.

That is great to know. Do you remember the name of the guide, or was it just a simple "ASVAB Study Guide"? I took the ASVAB back in my junior year of high school and made a 75/99 on it with no studying at all, but I have no idea what my GT score was. Never understood how to figure it out.

I have heard that the Barron's guide is very off, so I will steer clear of that one. I can't thank you enough for all the links! I am going to save them now and go through them tonight just to get an idea of what's ahead of me. And I bet you felt great once you figured out it wasn't you that was wrong! ;)

I definitely will not take any of the tests until I am ready. That is one thing I have learned over time. I have changed plans and have decided to go visit a recruiter tomorrow to get this thing going. After almost a year of research, I am about to begin my journey.

Thanks everyone!

I got lucky the first time to getting my recruiter. :D

I think the best book for the ASVAB is "ASVAB for Dummies"

it really breaks things down for you and explanes how everything works and what the test is all about.

Good Luck

it really breaks things down for you and explanes how everything works and what the test is all about.

Good Luck

Yeah, I just bought "ASVAB for Dummies" and "Master the ASVAB". They both seem to be good study guides. I didn't realize the ASVAB is a computerized adaptive test. I thought it was a pencil and paper test.

I will second this recommendation.

Well, apparently I am going to have to postpone starting yet again. Each time I plan on getting things going, something happens to keep me from it, so I will take it as a sign.

Instead, I am going to wait and try to finish my schooling a year early so I can work on my packet during that time and head out. I would much rather go on and start now, but everything seems to go back to the same thing. So, instead of continuing to try and find ways to do it, I will just wait and get a little more experience. It will also allow me time to get some flight training in and some community service.

In the meantime, I am going to study on and off for the ASVAB and AFAST so when the time comes I can just review! I plan to go all out on everything so my chances are higher. I really would hate to wait the next couple years and then not make it and have to wait another year.

Thanks to everyone. I will revive this post once I get back to starting my process.

That is probably a good idea to get some more school under your belt. That is the weak point of my packet. I need to get some more flight time and take a few more classes before I'll feel like my packet is competitive enough.

I have been studying the ASVAB For Dummies and the ARCO AFAST study guide. Haven't taken any tests yet, but from what I've heard, they are be best.