UVU Online Course

flyboy2233

I am almost ready to resume my training, after a few years off from flying. I have my commercial and instrument tickets with 165.1 hrs TT, and 113.1 PIC, all in the R22. I will only be able to fly twice a month, and I am worried my learning curve will suffer because of this. One of the schools in my area advertises their partnership with UVU. How much money could I get? I don't expect to fully pay for my training this way, but to supplement it. If I could get enough to fly once a week, I would be thrilled. Also, I really like the idea of having a college degree. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I am in my fourth semester and I really like their program. As far as the money goes, I get about $5k per semester in Stafford loans (subsidized and non), these loans do not have to be repaid until you either graduate or stop attending or gpa dips below 2.0. Interest is about as good as you can ask for. Tuition runs about $2500 per semester full time, I get this paid for with a Pell grant which does not have to be repaid, it is right around $2500 a semester. Their fin-aid dept is very helpful. Just give them a call and they will tell you what to do. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.

I am going to UVU. As far as financial aid goes, the absolute maximum they will certify you to borrow is just under 15k/semester. Mine was 14,750 or so. This is a maximum amount, and grants, scholarships, federal student loans and other student loans all count against.

Please note, this is the max that UVU will certify you to borrow for only distance learning, I understand they certify more if you are local and attending their local fixed-wing school. Also, the only way you're likely to max out this amount is if you take out student loans. They must be paid back. They follow you through bankruptcy. You will be responsible for it. Don't take it lightly.

That said, so far it has worked out great for me, and I plan to continue until I finish both my flight training and my degree.

FYI:

Stafford Subsidized Loans are federally guaranteed loans based on financial need. Interest does not accrue on the loan while you are in school at least half time, or during any future deferment periods. The federal government "subsidizes" (or pays) the interest during these times. Additionally, there are maximum amounts you can receive per school year.

* Freshman: $3,500 per year

* Sophomore: $4,500 per year

* Junior: $5,500 per year

* Senior and 5th year: $5,500 per year

Stafford Unsubsidized Loans are federally guaranteed loans that are not based on financial need. Interest does accrue from the time the loan is disbursed to the school. Additionally, there are maximum amounts you can receive per school year for dependent and independent students.

* Freshman: $2,000 for dependent students, $6,000 for independent students

* Sophomore: $2,000 for dependent students, $6,000 for independent students

* Junior: $2,000 for dependent students, $7,000 for independent students

* Senior and 5th year: $2,000 for dependent students, $7,000 for independent students