USAR Lt to 153a

Hi,

This post is for anyone knowledgeable in becoming a 153A, or the WOFT program. I am a recently commissioned 2Lt in the army reserve and i am in the process of applying for the WOFT program. Since I am reserve component I have to utilize this method rather than the traditional method that active duty personnel use. My goal is to resign my reserve commission and become an active duty 153A. I have almost all of my packet complete and i feel that i will be a competitive candidate. I currently possess a security clearance, 290 APFT, 123 AFAST, 89 on asvab with 127 GT score, i have four LORs (LTC, W5, CPT, and MSG) All officers are AV, conditional release from my unit, and i have a B/S in Economics. I would like to welcome any comments on how competitive of a candidate i would be, as well as anything i may consider adding in order to strengthen my packet. Thanks for the advice.

"Trust but confirm" Ronald Reagan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am in a similar, yet different, situation. I am a USAR CPT going before the USAR Warrant Officer board in NOV 2011 for aviation. I have seen active competent WO board results listing former Commissioned Officers being selected so best of luck there. Keep us posted, I'll update with my results as well.

You mentioned your packet, how are your OERs?

I am in a similar, yet different, situation. I am a USAR CPT going before the USAR Warrant Officer board in NOV 2011 for aviation. I have seen active competent WO board results listing former Commissioned Officers being selected so best of luck there. Keep us posted, I'll update with my results as well.

You mentioned your packet, how are your OERs?

Are you applying for WOFT or are you already an aviator?

Are you applying for WOFT or are you already an aviator?

I am an MI Officer. I had been trying to do a branch transfer in the USAR to AV, for the past 4 years, but could not make it happen, no funding. However, if I convert to WO1 then there are IET training funds to go to flight school.

The more I talk with people warrant officers fly more anyway, so it seems like the better bet for me.

If yo want to fly, go Warrant. If you cant get what you want in the USAR, try NG or AD. I transferred from the reserves to the guard for a WOFT slot and was at Rucker two months later. The NG process was easier for me as I wasn't getting any traction in the reserve, plus NG has many more AV units than reserve. Best of luck.

Dutch.

I am an MI Officer. I had been trying to do a branch transfer in the USAR to AV, for the past 4 years, but could not make it happen, no funding. However, if I convert to WO1 then there are IET training funds to go to flight school.

The more I talk with people warrant officers fly more anyway, so it seems like the better bet for me.

I agree that WO is the way to go for you. Doing a branch transfer as a CPT would be tough for several reasons - but mainly because there aren't nearly as many O-3 aviation slots out there for you to slide into, and as mentioned above, WO's generally do fly more that CPT's.

My situation was different from yours (and simpler) in that I was already a commissioned aviator. What I had to do was find a unit that would accept me as a WO and submit a packet to the WO board. Once the board approved my appointment, I got a letter in the mail - no ceremony, no handshake, nothing. I went to clothing sales to buy some rank insignia and Presto change-o, I was a warrant officer!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If yo want to fly, go Warrant. If you cant get what you want in the USAR, try NG or AD. I transferred from the reserves to the guard for a WOFT slot and was at Rucker two months later. The NG process was easier for me as I wasn't getting any traction in the reserve, plus NG has many more AV units than reserve. Best of luck.

Dutch.

AD or NG might be a good idea as well. There are AV NG units at JBLM, but I prefer the USAR after being in both. Will need to look into that again depending on the USAR results, would also need to get an approved 368, conditional release, from the USAR which would be a hassle.

WOFT might be my ticket to AD, but I would have to sell the wife on that one. Not sure that's going to happen any time soon.

I agree that WO is the way to go for you. Doing a branch transfer as a CPT would be tough for several reasons - but mainly because there aren't nearly as many O-3 aviation slots out there for you to slide into, and as mentioned above, WO's generally do fly more that CPT's.

My situation was different from yours (and simpler) in that I was already a commissioned aviator. What I had to do was find a unit that would accept me as a WO and submit a packet to the WO board. Once the board approved my appointment, I got a letter in the mail - no ceremony, no handshake, nothing. I went to clothing sales to buy some rank insignia and Presto change-o, I was a warrant officer!

Are you USAR or ARNG? You work at KBFI? That's near me, I drill at JBLM, what unit do you fly with?

The USAR Warrant Officer Board meet on 16NOV2011, today is 18NOV2011 and no results. ARCD put out a notice that results will not be ready until Monday, 21NOV2011. Holding my breath here.

http://www.usarc.arm...etn/Default.htm

I hope no news is good news.

Selected!! Just got the call from my ARCD NCO. Not a bad phone call to get on a Friday night!

I was in the Guard, then transferred to the Reserves. I drilled at Gray AAF for about 9 of my 25 years. I retired in 2008.

Yes, I am based at BFI. When I'm not away on TDY assignment, I'm usually at the hangar - or out flying :)