K-MAX

There's a K-Max parked at our airport right now and I was talking with their mechanic trying to figure out how that thing even flies. It has wooden blades, and ailerons on each blade to control pitch, it makes my head hurt just thinking about how that thing works. Anyone know anything interesting about those birds?

I worked with one (ground crew) installing and demolishing some lifts at Beaver Creek. Awesome to say the least. I have seen quite several the past few years in the ski industry. What an amazing helicopter.

We loaded a load that was too heavy and it started to take him down, and he had to "drop" his load. Extreme to say the least.

the k-max rotor system is actually much more efficient and stable than the conventional type. the "ailerons" on the blades change the pitch of the blades.

they were actually invented by kaman while he still worked at sikorsky. sikorsky was trying to create an aileron system, but it wouldnt work because the ailerons were changing the pitch of the blade instead of pushing them up or down. so kaman realized they could be used to change blade pitch and brought the idea to his superiors. in reply he was told that there was only one inventor at sikorsky helicopters; Igor Sikorsky, and they werent interested in any bogus he came up with. so he started his own company.

With the big 6000 acre 5% containment forest fire south of Prescott burning right now, there's been a lot of fire fighting air traffic today, since it tripled in size overnight. Saw a Kmax parked on the pad next to a Columbia Helicopters Boeing 234. Pretty weird looking helo. The blades sure are different. Interesting design.

• Like 1