Metal Main Rotor Blades MX

Last week I asked and found out that cleaning main rotor blades could be done with a mild soap and waxed. I asked the manufacturer about the wax and they told me use a non - silicone based wax. Does anyone know what a silicone wax does to the blades? RJP Thanks

Last week I asked and found out that cleaning main rotor blades could be done with a mild soap and waxed. I asked the manufacturer about the wax and they told me use a non - silicone based wax. Does anyone know what a silicone wax does to the blades? RJP Thanks

DISCLAIMER: The following was found on an automotive site, NOT an aeronautical one. With that being said, I imagine that it would still apply provided the proper steps are followed when it comes time to repaint the blades.

Now that THAT'S out of the way...

From the quick (and I do mean quick) google search I just did, apparently there are rumors abound that silicone wax will make your paint "shrivel up and fall off or prevent it from ever being repainted." From what I understand, the latter (about repainting) is true and was experienced in the past by painters in the form of the dreaded fish eye but is resolved by making sure you use degreasers or special silicone removers before painting. So as long as you use a wax remover prior to repainting, you shouldn't have any problems.

Here's a link to where I found this info, it's a few posts down: http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=3204

• Like 1

So as long as you use a wax remover prior to repainting, you shouldn't have any problems.

It depends on the original paint type used. If the initial paint job is top notch and you don’t over do the waxing (multiple over-coats without stripping old wax) usually you won’t have a problem. However, repainting or touch-ups jobs require more preparation and labor, stripping away the more durable silicone. Any contamination from wax, oils and silicones can cause paint adhesion problems. Go for the lighter non-silicone products.

They say silicone based products are easy to apply, have a significant depth shine and are more durable and longer lasting than other waxes. However, silicone based waxes have demonstrate problems, particularly if these product are not totally removed from the surface prior to painting. Molecules from silicone wax will undergo a process called “drifting” causing the silicone to embed into some painted surfaces and penetrate into the pores of the paint.

Once silicones have permeated the paint, the primer and the metal, paint will not properly bond to the metal. Because there is no mechanism to prevent drifting, the silicone will eventually drift all the way into the base metal.

Whenever the paint is washed with soap and water, it can cause the silicone to embed further into the paint. The silicone will continue to drift down through the pores in the paint and then into the metal. Over time the silicone will continue to embed into the paint exposing the surface to the elements just like conventional car waxes when they melt, due to summer heat, or during a regular car wash.

Edited by iChris
  • Like 1