Precautionary landing in LA.

Pilot was Tim Lynn, retired SoCal law enforcement pilot, don't think he's on the forums at all. I know him well and spoke to him. He gave me the story however I'm not familiar with ASTARS so forgive my lack of technical terms in the description.

They were covering a story of police searching for a man with a gun when the other news heli (also a retired LE pilot) noticed smoke. Tim quickly and calmly looked for a place to land. He saw a football field but noticed there were people in the area so he went to the small empty parking lot instead. Did a confined area landing with a steep approach to the spot in the picture, shut down, and got out ready to fight fire with the extinguisher. He said he was relieved when there was no sign of flames.

Here is where my lack on EC knowledge comes in. It sounds like a seal (can't remember exactly what he called it) let go and was allowing oil to leak......

Tim is a true professional aviator in every sense. I was not at all surprised to know it was Tim and how well he handled the situation. I think we all could learn from this situation, I know I did.

Met Tim at the last PHPA meeting...SUPER NICE GUY! Also flies back up for a local LE agency in the So Cal area. He just LOVES to FLY! Textbook landing, escpecially over Hollywood...a lot of wires! Great job getting it on the ground!

Met Tim at the last PHPA meeting...SUPER NICE GUY! Also flies back up for a local LE agency in the So Cal area. He just LOVES to FLY! Textbook landing, escpecially over Hollywood...a lot of wires! Great job getting it on the ground!

Yes he is, never seen him on any forums though. I stopped in and said hi last night (we fly at the same airport, helo's are 100 feet apart). He was back flying and as cool and ready to go as ever.

Basically oil line rupture sprayed oil and created one heck of a smoke trail. If you haven't seen the video you should google it. Looks like the best scripted movie special effects scene ever!

• Like 1