Helicycle exiting the chopper channel

I'm curious. I have watched your many posts and have always wondered, how come you go out through the path in the woods and not just launch from where you are and return the same way. It would seem (to me) you have more than enough room to take off and return via your field next to your house rather than down the stretch between the trees.

John- Sure...I could easily depart out over the trees....and as dependable as a turbine is....I am relying on it on the rest of the machine to clear those trees. If something fails...it most likely will be the worst day of my life. Would you agree that I as an admitted fledgling helicopter pilot...and builder of this experimental helicopter is making a wiser choice exiting and entering that channel?

• Like 1

Stan,

Consider pushing into translational lift from your pu/hover point and climbing out with a flight path over the channel while climbing.

For the approach, fly inbound over the chopper channel at altitude and a normal approach angle to your normal set down spot.

Neither of these has you flying over the trees (still in and out over the clear channel area) and you practice/perform normal t/o's and normal approaches.

Best Wishes,

Mike

• Like 1

Mike- I do mix up a variety of approach and departures, but 90% are like my video posted.

I have done a few max performance takeoffs right out over the trees, but would think it foolish to depend on my machine every takeoff to keeping me alive! But flying out your way keeps a path to land under me, as my normal departure

Stan

Mike- I do mix up a variety of approach and departures, but 90% are like my video posted.

I have done a few max performance takeoffs right out over the trees, but would think it foolish to depend on my machine every takeoff to keeping me alive! But flying out your way keeps a path to land under me, as my normal departure

Stan

I'm thinking you just like the sense of increased speed by flying low and close to the trees. You aren't doing yourself any favors doing it the way you are vs. climbing out over the trees. An auto rotation from the altitudes I've seen you fly at through your tree tunnel is going to end in basically a run on landing with very little time to set up. You'd be much better off to begin climbing after translation lift and by the time you hit your little path you'd have 100-200 ft in altitude and be in a much better situation if something bad were to happen. Same goes for approach for landing, keep your ground track over your pathway, but come in from altitude instead of skimming the deck.

I know flying close to the ground is fun, I do it for a living, but maybe re-think your methods.