My 1st Post

GAHeli

Hello everyone.

My name is Joe and I am from GA. Just did my first discovery flight and am excited to get back in it. I was in the military before where we were transported with helicopters and i had been on a few civilian rides before also. But there is nothing like feeling the rush of controlling one. Have a good week and safe flying.

• Like 1

I am looking at options on obtaining my PPL and using my GI Bill which covers 60% of everything there after. I just found this site and im glad i did, because there is alot of useful info on here. I have read numerous post on how its a bad idea and it cost a lot of money(not only on this site. More on others), but hell what isnt usually a bad idea and cost a lot of money. I.E. 50k car the depreciates right when you drive it off the lot or that 250k house that is now worth 100k. I feel everything in life is a risk so why not go at it with some excitement.

If you served 3 years or more active duty after 9/11 you get 100% post 911. If you were reserve or guard it gets complicated and youd have to ask the va. If eligible you can elect to use it instead of the montgomery. If you can use the post 9/11 you can search this forum for a list of schools that take it but you have to be in a degree seeking program so they partner with a community college that makes your licenses required for an aviation degree and the va pays for them as extremely expensive lab fees.

If you served 3 years or more active duty after 9/11 you get 100% post 911. If you were reserve or guard it gets complicated and youd have to ask the va. If eligible you can elect to use it instead of the montgomery. If you can use the post 9/11 you can search this forum for a list of schools that take it but you have to be in a degree seeking program so they partner with a community college that makes your licenses required for an aviation degree and the va pays for them as extremely expensive lab fees.

What these guys said. There are programs that will take you from Private to CFII and all the goodies in between for zero cost. As a matter of fact, you'll collect a monthly BAH check and essentially already get paid to fly! As mentioned though, you have to forfeit the MGIB to use the Post 911. However, it's an outstanding program and in my opinion there really is no better way to use these benefits. The best part is most programs will only use half of the 36 months of benefits allotted!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you are from GA then you need to check out the aviation program at Middle Georgia College in Eastman, GA. They offer both four year and two year flight degree programs or just the flight certificate or technical degree program. It is a very professional, well run school; part of the University System of Georgia. As a Georgia resident, you may also qualify for the Hope Scholarship along with the VA stuff.

http://www.mgc.edu/aviation/helicopter/