Transitioning from the Army to civilian career??

So get prepared guys. I, like a lot of my fellow pilots in the Army are looking at taking the leap into commercial aviation. The blade hours are drying up and those of us that like to fly are not exactly looking at the same job satisfaction.

Having said that, I really don't want to turn off the advice tap from the straight civilian school guys. Unlike most of my fellow Army pilots, I am a Commissioned officer that transitioned into aviation later in my career, only have 1100 hours (com/inst of course), and do not have a track (Instructor pilot, maintenance test pilot, ect). I wrapped up my command last year and can't get a job anywhere near the cockpit for the foreseeable future.

So here are my questions;

1. What is the best way to transition into a civilian career.

Ok so thats a really broad question...

2. Should I try to teach first, look for a 44 tour job (or maybe Temsco :)), or try to fly the oil rigs.

3. I am 33 hours into the R22 and 2 hours into CFI training. I can wrap this in the next couple of months, but my CFI told me that I might be better off graduating from a big school that I could get a job from.

4. My "last 12 month hours" are abismal. I have been flying the R22 as much as I can afford, but how important is that 100 hours in the last 12 months in your experience.

So my track record of responses in this forum is pretty abismal too. Hopefully the HR VR will take some mercy on me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You asked for a response, and now you have one...

Background on our company: Helicopter charter company serving primarily the utility industry in AR and surrounding states since 1983. We operate jetrangers and a token R44 for the sake of having a low price option for a few customers and keeping the new operator wannabes out of the market...

I can't answer all of your questions but I'll do my best...

1. What is the best way to transition into a civilian career.

A: Understand the first and MOST important thing about civilian aviation. We are NOT doing this for the fun and love of aviation. Yeah, it's a sometimes awesome business but fun and awesome don't pay the bills. We are doing this to make money. Period.

If you are expecting that your job description will be to jump in the helicopter and bore holes through the sky, then forget it. Re-up with the military. If you can't bring something to the table that will either save your employer money, make their life easier, or most importantly... make them money, then you need to work on expanding your resume. Civilian pilots must wear many hats. PR, occasional mechanic, occasional janitor, and very often... marketing.

Second... there are many small helicopter operators that are possibly willing to take a chance on a lower time pilot IF the pilot can and is willing to make a commitment to a company. In other words, we can spot a time-builder a LONG ways off. They are an anathema in aviation. Getting a pilot trained, endorsed, and insured is expensive as hell. To take your employer's largesse and then take a position with another company as soon as you get your turbine endorsement and before the ink is even dry on your 135 checkride... well,... there is a word for that...

However, if you're willing to gut it out, do more than they ask for, perform several jobs, and be willing to sign a several year commitment. Then you might just get a shot.

One last word about time-builders... the aviation and helicopter business community in the US is small. On the surface it doesn't seem so, but we know who the other operators are. And the chances are very good that we know each other, personally. And we talk. Don't burn the employer that gave you a chance. Your reputation will precede and follow you. 'Nuff said?

2. Should I try to teach first, look for a 44 tour job (or maybe Temsco :)), or try to fly the oil rigs.

A: A tour/ride operator will be more willing to take a chance on you than the oil rigs. To get on with the oil rigs (to me,... not much different than a helicopter ride job), you'll need a turbine rating. Time in a 44 isn't worth a lot outside of the tourism arena.

3. I am 33 hours into the R22 and 2 hours into CFI training. I can wrap this in the next couple of months, but my CFI told me that I might be better off graduating from a big school that I could get a job from.

A: Seems reasonable enough. Our Safety officer went that route, then worked with a timber company until he had enough time.

4. My "last 12 month hours" are abysmal. I have been flying the R22 as much as I can afford, but how important is that 100 hours in the last 12 months in your experience

A: Very. I wouldn't say that the 100 hours/12 months is the key. Not all flying is equal. 100 hours straight and level < 50 hours in a utility environment. In other words... what kind of flying did you do in those 100 hours?

Hope this helps.

"...

A: A tour/ride operator will be more willing to take a chance on you than the oil rigs. To get on with the oil rigs (to me,... not much different than a helicopter ride job), you'll need a turbine rating. Time in a 44 isn't worth a lot outside of the tourism arena.
"

I would guess the Op has turbine time...

Check PHI website, quote:

"Description

PHI Inc. currently has openings for full time IFR commercial helicopter pilots in our Oil & Gas Division. We offer the opportunity to fly some of the world’s most sophisticated aircraft to include the Sikorsky S-92, Sikorsky S-76, and the AgustaWestland AW139.

Responsibilities

Pilots are required to have a minimum of 1,000 hours Pilot-in-Command time in helicopters AND 200 hours’ instrument (combined actual and simulated) and 300 hours of Multi Engine time.

100 hours of night time (unaided).

Hold a FAA Commercial Helicopter certificate with a helicopter instrument rating.

Hold a current FAA Class I medical Certificate.

Applicants must be legal residents of the United States or have a valid work visa.

Interested individuals should fax resume to:
PHI
ATTN: Human Resources
337-272-4232 or
Email resume to resumes@phihelico.com

PHI offers a competitive salary plus: 401K Plan, Safety Bonus, Life Insurance, Medical Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, Dental Insurance, Paid Vacation, Sick Leave, Vision Plan, Holiday Pay, Prescription Cards, Bereavement Leave, Employee Assistance Program, Relocation, and more."