Step into the shoes of the Sac Sheriff helicopter crew

http://blogs.sacbee.com/crime/archives/2013/05/tweet-along-planned-by-sac-sheriff-helicopter-crew.html

The Sacramento Sheriff's Department invites anyone with a computer or smart phone to follow its helicopter crew during a Friday night "Tweet-along."

The first-ever virtual ride-along via Twitter will show the public what a night shift is like for the pilot and observer deputies in a department helicopter. The Tweet-along begins at 5 p.m. and runs until midnight on Friday.

During that time, a deputy inside the STAR (Sheriff's Tactical Air Resource) helicopter will be posting messages, photos and videos that exhibit the preflight checks, take-off and interaction with patrol deputies on the ground.

Interested citizens can follow along on their computers at http://twitter.com/sacsheriff.

To have updates sent to a mobile phone, a person can create a Twitter account, and

Twitter will send updates.

Stumbled across this and thought it was cool enough that I needed to share. It starts May 10 at 5pm and runs until midnight. I'll be following through the night

• Like 4

It's your lie, tell it how you want! haha

My Father in law would never shy away from any opportunity to embellish. I loved his stories. They got better every time I heard them.

PS, Flying Pig you are right. Thank you for the correction. In my mind Sacramento somehow rhymes with Sarasota.

Anyone who flies 500s can tell you a 90 deg bank is more than doable. But enjoy your semi rigid thing you got goin on :)

FP,

I think this was stated in jest but I ask for the uninitiated here, what is the load factor incurred in a 90 degree bank and is the 500 designed for this?

I hope this does not turn into another over GW or out of CG authorization by "real world" pilots that justify needing a bank of 90 degrees.

Mike

Edited by Mikemv

FP,

I think this was stated in jest but I ask for the uninitiated here, what is the load factor incurred in a 90 degree bank and is the 500 designed for this?

I hope this does not turn into another over GW or out of CG authorization by "real world" pilots that justify needing a bank of 90 degrees.

Mike

Mike,

The load factor you refer to is only valid for maintaining level flight. I don't see where you specified this if you did.

If I were a law enforcement pilot, and it was well within the capabilities of my aircraft I would train often into high angles of bank for the day that I may really need to.

Also I am reminded of times during my career when I used high bank angles to attempt to avoid hitting large birds. In one instance it was a buzzard, and by maneuvering the aircraft managed to avoid it hitting the windscreen, albeit not the main rotor.

• Like 1