Cactuscopters, Tucson AZ.

There web site is pretty direct, not a lot of fluff. Says they train you to pass the PTS. Nothing silly in there about being the best of the best of the best when you graduate or that the industry specifically seeks out their grads or that they are a pipeline to EMS and tour companies.

They do mention about how the R22 prepares you to fly any other type of helicopter and that training in High DA is valuable..... Yeah... OK...but you gotta find a silver lining somewhere when you are training in an inverted lawn mower in 125 degree heat!

I fly with Cactus Helicopters. Their fleet of two R-22s (one about to be overhauled) is in great condition. If you're a student, you'll like the large classroom. I'm a private pilot and rent while working on my commercial certificate.

The aircraft is in top shape and maintenance and safety aren't just buzzwords... they are proactive about both. The CFIs are knowledgeable and accommodating in terms of scheduling and availability.

It doesn't get to 125F but when it gets to 110F their R22 performs fine (you can't go flying in a lawnmower even if you do turn it upside down). The Tucson Area has lots of great things to see from 500AGL and the instructors and aircraft at Cactus make it possible to do so.

Their prices are par for the market, their equipment above average for training aircraft.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. I have a flight scheduled there tonight :)

Ehud Gavron, private pilot - rotorcraft

Tucson, AZ US

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to flying something with a lot less power in a high DA area. Makes a change from near enough sea level with oodles of green...

I've always said sea level makes for lousy pilots......and I rarely get to 2000!

Yesterday I did a mountain flight and went to 3600! Yippee!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I took my first flight with them a few months back and it was a great experience. The instructor was really knowledgeable and took his time explaining everything to me. I flew with them again yesterday and got to fly out to Mt Lemmon and see the city. The helicopter flew great and the instructor did a good job on correcting the errors i was making with out taking over the controls.

• Like 1