What reg states the 12,500 rule?

Sonic04GT

As I've gathered, most people are well familiar that as a rated helicopter pilot they can fly essentially anything under 12,500lbs of what I assume would be GWOT.

Where is this stated in writing/the regs?

It's MGTOW. Read the history of the Ford Tri motor.

Its interesting that you asked this. I did as well while going through school. I had seen the question while practicing the written test. Then I asked my instructor...then several instructors, then my assistant chief pilot, and surprisingly no one knew exactly where it came from in the regs.

Then I remembered the FAA is a semantic OCD machine. So then I reread the limitations and remembered Part 1. So look up the definition as C of G mentioned. Its in the definition that defines the weights. Then in your privileges and limitations of part 61 it uses these defined FAA vocabulary words.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=6153f57d5faa2640356dffcbdbe202ed&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:1.0.1.1.1.0.1.1&idno=14

§ 1.1 General definitions.

Large aircraft means aircraft of more than 12,500 pounds, maximum certificated takeoff weight.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=6153f57d5faa2640356dffcbdbe202ed&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.1.1.21&idno=14

§ 61.31 Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization requirements.

(a) Type ratings required. A person who acts as a pilot in command of any of the following aircraft must hold a type rating for that aircraft:

(1) Large aircraft (except lighter-than-air).

(2) Turbojet-powered airplanes.

(3) Other aircraft specified by the Administrator through aircraft type certificate procedures.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=6153f57d5faa2640356dffcbdbe202ed&rgn=div8&view=text&node=49:9.1.3.5.11.1.10.1&idno=49

§ 1544.1 Applicability of this part.

(a) This part prescribes aviation security rules governing the following:

(1) The operations of aircraft operators holding operating certificates under 14 CFR part 119 for scheduled passenger operations, public charter passenger operations, private charter passenger operations; the operations of aircraft operators holding operating certificates under 14 CFR part 119 operating aircraft with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or more; and other aircraft operators adopting and obtaining approval of an aircraft operator security program.

Edited by avbug