Private JET A Fueling Station

I was wondering if anyone had any advise or input regarding private/personal fueling. I am in the process of finalizing plans on a private helipad and hangar. Based on current usage we are consuming around 10,000 gallons a year in the EC-130. I asked the same oil company that provides my local airport with fuel to bid on this project. Given the somewhat remote location, they are only able to deliver a three axel truck which is around 3,500 gallons at a time. They are suggesting a 5,000 gallon above ground Jet A tank given the consumption numbers. They would also propose to install and maintain the fueling station. My goal is to accomplish private fueling with absolutely no drawback in safety. Any comments, suggestions, or tips?

The filters are also a big expense to consider. The daily, monthly and semi-annual testing/inspection procedures are pretty straight forward but do require some training from the fuel provider. The test equipment for the Jet A is rather expensive also, especially the Millipore testing equipment. Keep good records of all tests done. Make sure to work out with the provider an agreement about the waste fuel disposal. The waste fuel adds up pretty quick when you are sumping the tank daily and the monthly Millipore test requires a minimum of 3 gallons. I have two 55 gal drums for waste and a company to pick up the fuel when they are full.

My air unit has used a 1500 ga fuel truck for several years with no issues. You can of course get bigger tanks on a bigger truck. Plus its not a fixed piece of equipment. Being that you are not located on an airport, you would have to get your appropriate licenses, but those aren't a big deal. I thought it was pretty cool going through the training. Get it done up nicely, park it next to your pad, when you need to top it off, drive it to the nearest FBO or have someone come fill it for you. we did about 5000 gallons per month. So 10,000 per year wouldn't be an issue for one.

Edited by Flying Pig

The filters are also a big expense to consider. The daily, monthly and semi-annual testing/inspection procedures are pretty straight forward but do require some training from the fuel provider. The test equipment for the Jet A is rather expensive also, especially the Millipore testing equipment. Keep good records of all tests done. Make sure to work out with the provider an agreement about the waste fuel disposal. The waste fuel adds up pretty quick when you are sumping the tank daily and the monthly Millipore test requires a minimum of 3 gallons. I have two 55 gal drums for waste and a company to pick up the fuel when they are full.

Thanks, this brings up some good questions to ask the proposing company. All this testing you are doing is it for personal reasons or are you selling fuel to others, 135, running a school, etc? I guess I'm asking what is the regulatory mechanism that is triggering the testing?

Actually all of the above plus I like the "warm fuzzy" of knowing my fuel is not contaminated (one less thing on the list of things that could hurt me or my customers). PM me if you need too.

Although Rotornuts suggestions are all worth consideration none are required for a private use set up. I've setup and used private tanks in AK, AZ, MT as well as central and south america for both jet fuel and Avgas. Mostly in remote locations as you describe. A stick to gauge fuel remaining and a good no go filter is all that's necessary. As an extra precaution I set up 2 filters in series, easily replaceable.

Above ground tank is the way to go in my opinion. A shed cover further protects from contamination and helps "aesthetics". Your procedures are as important. Finding the balance of fuel used to tank capacity is important so you don't leave a large air void during the cold months and at the same time don't want fuel sitting for years unused. Off the top of my head a 3,000 gallon tank, ordering 2,500 gals delivered when capacity hits less than 500 gals keeps fresh fuel coming quarterly (based on your 10,000 gal/year).

The truck idea has its advantages too but requires Hazmat training, licensing and insurance, depends if mobility is an advantage.

Although Rotornuts suggestions are all worth consideration none are required for a private use set up. I've setup and used private tanks in AK, AZ, MT as well as central and south america for both jet fuel and Avgas. Mostly in remote locations as you describe. A stick to gauge fuel remaining and a good no go filter is all that's necessary. As an extra precaution I set up 2 filters in series, easily replaceable.

Above ground tank is the way to go in my opinion. A shed cover further protects from contamination and helps "aesthetics". Your procedures are as important. Finding the balance of fuel used to tank capacity is important so you don't leave a large air void during the cold months and at the same time don't want fuel sitting for years unused. Off the top of my head a 3,000 gallon tank, ordering 2,500 gals delivered when capacity hits less than 500 gals keeps fresh fuel coming quarterly (based on your 10,000 gal/year).

The truck idea has its advantages too but requires Hazmat training, licensing and insurance, depends if mobility is an advantage.

Excellent. Thats what I thought on the reporting. So it's really just for piece of mind....all that I can get. Now I realized that there is still EPA reporting and Cal State reporting but it's just like any other fuel storage. Being a farm setting I have lots of diesel stored here so to the state it should be the same. I'm sure I'm forgetting some alphabet agency who wants a pound of flesh.

Considering the current regulations, especially in California, do not go with an underground tank. They are nothing but a liability suit waiting to happen. If your provider does suggest it, look closely at having a containment ring built around the tank with some sort of membrane between the tank and the ground. Although it doesn't happen often, tanks and systems to leak from time to time.