Montgomery Alabama

tradford

Any Montgomery-area helicopter pilots know of any off-airport landing sites on the east side? Dannelly, Prattville and Wetumpka are a bit far away and I'd like an off-airport site anyway. I plan on flying down in a '44 during the next couple of weeks to give my mom a ride.

• Like 1

If you go on a weekend its 30 minute hop down to Fort Rucker area, there are tons upon tons of cool stuff to land on. My instructor was a Rucker instructor many many moons ago before owning FBO at Blackwell... long story short, he knew the area well and I took my dual cross country up there and landed to a pinnacle inside a confined area, really cool stuff.

I may be able to get you the coordinates if you like but we were able to fuel up at Blackwell and navigate to it without talking to Rucker so if you poke around a little on Google maps or something you may be able to find it. Going off of pure memory from years ago it is SW of Blackwell and then we flew SW to Enterprise to fuel up before going home.

Thanks Jaybee. I'm in need of a location in the east Montgomery area where I can land and pick up / drop off my passengers. There's a little private strip owned by Kershaw just off of I 85 coming into town from Atlanta. I'm going to call them and see if I can use it. Here in north Georgia, we've got a number of restaurants with dedicated helo-landing spots that make for great meeting spots. I thought there might be something similar down there.

Tony

Fish Tales on Lake Lanier has a big spot with signs that read 'Helicopter Parking Only'. If you look at the place on Google Earth - there's a parked R44 in the picture.

There's the Flying Machine at LZU and the Dillard House Restaurant up in Dillard, GA has a spot out front that they welcome helicopters.

Also, I've dropped into 'Friends Restaurant' in Young Harris, GA. The landing spot is on an angle so you need to be prepared for a slope landing.

I met a helo pilot at LZU a week or so back who told me about a place with a helipad on the roof that welcomed visitors. Also the Brass Town Valley Resort in Young Harris has a little helipad out front. I'll be flying up there in early may for a property owner's meeting. They've got a nice restaurant in there as well.