David Clark H10-76 trouble-shooting

Looking at the Bose topic below made me wonder about my headset.

I have a DC H10-76 mil headset. When it was given to me, a civilian mic had been exchanged with the one originally installed. It's been used with no problems on a variety of machines until now. I'd actually thought it had been converted to civ spec but after some issues with it, I sent it to DC and they're telling me I have to make a choice, either the cheap mil restoration or the expensive civ convert. They won't fix my problems keeping the civ mic with the rest of the mil package which I guess must be the speakers.

My question, is having this setup, civ mic on a mil spec headset ok, am I doing any damage to the a/c radios or am I slowly breaking down the headset quality? Or is what I have just an easy, cheap fix? I realize I could also go the cheaper mil restoration and just get a convert cable, but I am still interested as electronics aren't my strong-point!

Thanks

• Like 1

As long as it's loud enough for you, there is no problem with using low impedance speakers and a high impedance mike. I've done that for years with my helmet. It's a former military helmet, and I've tried changing the speakers out with high impedance models, and it's way too loud for me, I can't turn the volume down enough to reach a comfortable level. The mike and the speakers are on separate circuits, so there is no electrical problem with it. I would have DC fix whatever problems it has, return it to low impedance parts, and return your mike to you. You can easily change the mike back.