The price of being a pilot?

Obviously you don't get it. The previous posters were trying to play nice(ly).

The real cost of being a pilot, that is, one who pays the price to make a living at it (as opposed to a token hour here or there for fun), is a world apart from the three hundred bucks you pay to rent for an hour or so.

The real cost of flying for a living is your life. If you spend three hundred dollars and are satisfied and happy and fulfilled, then by all means, that's your cost to be an occasional aviator, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Those who do choose to pursue and maintain the path as a pilot may see an entirely different price that makes three hundred bucks look like a drop in the bucket.

I had to to earn my PPL, CPL and CFI to realize all of this. I didn't realize before how hard is the life of a professional pilot. Too much responsibility, too little wages, saturated market, weird schedules, time pressures...

The last straw was a recent crash where a fellow she-pilot with more than 4,000 hrs perished along 4 passengers in a 407. There's no final report yet but many think she entered IIMC and CFITted, because of a hasty flight due to time pressures.

Nowadays I see pro aviators like policemen or firefighters, as people that REALLY need to know how to manage risks.

Not for me. I will stick around as an enthusiast, however.

Cheers!

• Like 3