Security Clearance Question about credit

Hi all, Long time lurker, and I have just been selected at the July WOFT board.

I looked and couldn't find anything on the subject but at MEPS when we were talking about security clearance I was warned to check my credit. Has anyone here heard of someone being denied for anything short of bad/bankruptcy credit?

Without getting into too much detail I went ahead and got my reports, and I actually have a credit score just over 700, but I have one delinquent debt from college for an after hours dentist visit that charged $2000 from 2013, the only reason it even went to collections was because I disputed it as he quoted me 1000 at the time then the bill was literally over double, and instead of working with me, he sent it straight to a recovery agency.

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with this because it does technically fall under medical.

Thanks.

Get it taken care of as soon as possible. It will likely be a problem for your clearance as it stands, but if you're working on it and making payments, you will be seen as taking responsibility.

If you have any cash on hand right now, make an offer to the agency, even just $500. They might take it and consider the debt paid. Collections are sharks and only see green. Don't tell them you're working on joining the Army. Don't tell them anything at all. Just make the offer and hope they bite.

Thanks, I will do my best, I have some cash on hand and actually have enough to take out a small signature loan, I just wanted to make sure it needed to be taken care of.

I of course haven't told them anything, as far as they know, I am still a student so I will make them a cash settlement offer and can afford upward half the amount, for a 5 year old account, I think they will take it. Reps are paid commission on what they bring in over the phone, I think that will do.