Corrective Eye Surgrey

So, I have been looking on here for quite some time about Lasik/PRK and a lot of the info seems to be fairly dated. I am a current 7 year Guard guy looking to possibly go for WOFT. The only thing i am worried about is my vision. I don't remember my exact 20/xx number, but I think i am pretty close to the 20/70 cutoff (if I read that correctly). However, I am corrected to 20/20. What are the current regulations on Lasik/PRK? If I am over the 20/70 cutoff and i get corrective surgery, will I still pass the physical? Do I need to talk to someone before I do it and who would that be? Or do i just do the surgery then wait 6 months before submitting my packet?

Thanks for your help!

Derek

LASIK is a 90 day wait and PRK is a 6 month wait due to healing times.

Straight from the APL Corrective Eye Surgery Sheet: Applicants must correct to 20/20 in both eyes for both near and distant vision. Uncorrected distant visual acuity must be 20/70 or better. Uncorrected near visual acuity must be 20/40 or better. Waivers will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Happy to PM you a couple of sheets I have on corrective eye surgery if you would like them.

I thought it was 20/50 corrected to 20/20 but I'm probably wrong.

If you get LASIK it's a six month wait for flight physical. I was just accepted for my state and I don't think they even applied for a waiver. Just had to bring my eye exam records to the flight phys.

Did you have lasik or PRK?

I had LASIK back in December 2014. I had to wait 6 months afterward for the Army to look at me again. I had no issues with my surgery but had a lot of issues when the Army looked at me because apparently the doctors I was talking with (the doctors at MEPS and two different aviation physical doctors) didn't know the regs dealing with pre and post-op eye requirements.

I don't know the 20/# I was either but my eyes were extremely bad. Before you actually have LASIK/PRK I would just check with an Army AME (not sure the correct name) and make sure your eyes pass all the pre-op tests and requirements. I don't know the requirements off the top of my head but I know they can be found online. Also make sure you get copies of and keep all of your pre-op eye paperwork and get paperwork from each of your post-op eye exams.

Somewhere on here is a thread I made all about the struggles I had to go through. Fortunately even after being told I was going to be unable to continue the process because of my eyes I was still able to make it work.

Good luck to you and if you have any other questions about the process feel free to ask!