National Guard - Age Waiver

Good Evening All

I’m a USMC Infantry Officer (O-3), 4.5 yrs on active and about 3 years in the reserves. Deployments to AFG and Iraq. The kicker for this question is my age - 32.

I recently found out about the WOFT through the NG. I spoke to the WOSM in the state where my family is likely moving to within the next year. They didn’t sound like a age waiver was an option - when I inquired they said they only made exceptions for someone who has worked with them for some time. 

When looking at the “Selected” stats in this forum, seems like a handful of old guys like me have been picked up before, but I’m not sure if that’s for AD or not. 

Could someone tell me how the NG waiver system works? Is it best to just visit the unit often and get to know folks? Perhaps even transfer to the guard and work in the aviation unit in some capacity? Or is too old simply too old...

Thanks guys and Happy Holidays.

19 hours ago, yarles87 said:

Good Evening All

I’m a USMC Infantry Officer (O-3), 4.5 yrs on active and about 3 years in the reserves. Deployments to AFG and Iraq. The kicker for this question is my age - 32.

I recently found out about the WOFT through the NG. I spoke to the WOSM in the state where my family is likely moving to within the next year. They didn’t sound like a age waiver was an option - when I inquired they said they only made exceptions for someone who has worked with them for some time. 

When looking at the “Selected” stats in this forum, seems like a handful of old guys like me have been picked up before, but I’m not sure if that’s for AD or not. 

Could someone tell me how the NG waiver system works? Is it best to just visit the unit often and get to know folks? Perhaps even transfer to the guard and work in the aviation unit in some capacity? Or is too old simply too old...

Thanks guys and Happy Holidays.

The approval authority is the National Guard Bureau. I was granted one after selection. It took about 4 months. I had approximately 3 letters for recommendation in support directly for the age waiver. The State Aviation Officer, State Adjutant General, and my CW4 recommender all had letters indicating why I would be a good candidate for an age waiver. These were separate from my application letters of recommendation. I will have to look for the disposition from NGB. I ended up turning my NG selection down for various reasons and ended up going active duty which I just got selected for. I am 35, so if someone says it is not possible, they are Ill informed. Now, the state may have a policy that they will not entertain requests for age waivers but I know for a fact they can and will be approved if they need pilots with correct justification and pursuit. It is just a matter of routing the correct paperwork to the NGB. 

@gravityrideseverything

That’s awesome, great to hear (and congrats to you!). A couple follow ups if you don’t mind...

Did you work through a WOSM, or someone who worked/recruited directly for the unit? 

How did you make those inroads with the upper echelons of the NG leadership? We’re you a part of the unit previously, or just cold calling folks and stating your case?

Sounds like this is the same as with all things military... squeaky wheel gets the oil.

If the state wants to push it through it shouldn’t be an issue. Each state runs their aviation program independently. They have a lot of leeway in deciding how they want to hire, board, allow waivers, etc. Administratively speaking if you board at 32 and Fedrec to W1 by 33 you don’t need a waiver, but getting board ready takes time. Also, administratively, an uncomplicated age waiver (no other crazy issues) up to 35-36 would almost certainly be approved. The WOSM for your state is the gatekeeper, but if you are able to get the aviation unit on up to the state aviation office onboard, and they tell the WOSM they want you, the WOSM would handle it. But I’ll reiterate each state can do things and hire as they please.

I am on active duty for the WOSM in my New England state waiting to start flight school. I can tell you that assuming you are qualified and have solid OERs we would board you and not think twice about the age waiver, which you would almost certainly be granted if selected. I will say the age waiver is significantly more paperwork than even the initial packet, but they are routinely granted, especially at your age. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mike0331 said:

If the state wants to push it through it shouldn’t be an issue. Each state runs their aviation program independently. They have a lot of leeway in deciding how they want to hire, board, allow waivers, etc. Administratively speaking if you board at 32 and Fedrec to W1 by 33 you don’t need a waiver, but getting board ready takes time. Also, administratively, an uncomplicated age waiver (no other crazy issues) up to 35-36 would almost certainly be approved. The WOSM for your state is the gatekeeper, but if you are able to get the aviation unit on up to the state aviation office onboard, and they tell the WOSM they want you, the WOSM would handle it. But I’ll reiterate each state can do things and hire as they please.

I am on active duty for the WOSM in my New England state waiting to start flight school. I can tell you that assuming you are qualified and have solid OERs we would board you and not think twice about the age waiver, which you would almost certainly be granted if selected. I will say the age waiver is significantly more paperwork than even the initial packet, but they are routinely granted, especially at your age. 

19 hours ago, yarles87 said:

@gravityrideseverything

That’s awesome, great to hear (and congrats to you!). A couple follow ups if you don’t mind...

Did you work through a WOSM, or someone who worked/recruited directly for the unit? 

How did you make those inroads with the upper echelons of the NG leadership? We’re you a part of the unit previously, or just cold calling folks and stating your case?

Sounds like this is the same as with all things military... squeaky wheel gets the oil.

What @mike0331 said. 

DM me if you want further information on my actual process.

I would call the WOSM for all of the states you have interest in living. 

I would tactfully ask the WOSM to put you in touch with the aviation unit or reach out to ask if they would entertain it. If the WOSM absolutely doesn't want to play ball and is only interested in talking about what they "know" to be the case rather than checking on your individual circumstance, I would have a recruiter put you in touch with a contact at the aviation unit. Go down, meet some people, talk to some people, etc. If they like you they should be able to get you in touch with someone in the aviation chain of command who can reach back out to the WOSM and provide guidance on moving you along. If aviation wants you, the WOSM only stands to gain a number for their mission by bringing you in. One word of caution. Alternatively, aviation may be more interested in bringing you on as an O-grade. If you are really interested in the Warrant path, just be able to articulate why that is on the spot.