Moral Waiver

I’m currently an Infantryman (E4) in the National Guard and I am aiming to drop a flight packet. I’ve been studying for the SIFT religiously and doing more PT. I’ve got a 135 GT score and I don’t think I would have a problem getting LORs. 

My biggest concern is the possibility of getting a moral waiver. I was charged with a felony for possession of marijuana on school grounds when I was 15 years old. Is this a PDQ? Even if it’s not technically a PDQ, would my packet be dead in the water?

Have you been in contact with any Aviation units in your state? They should be able to answer your questions and point you in the right direction. I would assume that since you got through MEPS and were able to enlist that it would be overlooked…just an assumption though. Different states and the people that are on the selection boards have different specific requirements for their flight packets. What state are you in? 

I have been in contact with the Warrant Officer recruiter for my state. I gave him information about the charge but I don’t want to badger him until I have at least completed the SIFT (which is a problem as well because I’m not currently in my state).

I would hope that they would accept my enlistment waiver. But at the same time, Flight Warrant is a much higher tier than a junior enlisted grunt. I signed on for an MOS facing a huge shortage, so they may be more inclined to grant a waiver for that than a highly competitive WO slot.