Flying for US Customs

Hello everyone. I've been flying since August and obtained my PPL in November. I've been building time for my commercial ever since, and by fall I plan to have my CPL, CFI and possibly instrument ratings.  My question has to deal with flying for US Customs and Border Protection (http://www.customs.treas.gov/).  I know I want to fly for a living and I would love to be able to protect and serve my country in the process.  I am just curious if anyone has any suggestions or advice for someone, like myself, pursueing this career path. If I understand correctly it would be most beneficial to obtain ratings in fixed winged aircraft as well, but to what degree?  Also, as far as formal education, I have a year under my belt at my state university towards a degree in accounting.  Would a degree in aviation or law enforcement of some type be more beneficial then my current path?  I know it won't come easy and I know it seems I have quite a narrow focus, but this is my ultimate goal.  I am still young.... 20 years old and with no commitments... and as long as I am flying, I feel I will be happy. Of course I understand that I will instructor for a few years, build some turbine time with an operator, and then see where I am, but I just want to set myself up so that I am confident I am not wasting my time with something not beneficial to my ultimate goal.  Any help, suggestions, or even contacts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

I've looked into it myself. Look at their fixed wing pilot requirements and see what ratings they require for them. I would imagine you should at least have your Commercial Multi-Engine IFR if you want to be dual rated. I've looked into it myself since it looks like great work.  Here's the req's off their website:Basic Pilot Qualifications

I've looked into it myself and these seem to be the ratings to aim for. Try emailing or calling them.

PM me if you find some good info.. ::cheers::

From what I understand they require at least 1500 total time, commercial helicopter and commercial multi engine fixed wing to be a helicopter pilot for DHS.  I am pretty sure they also require you to attend the six month training academy, but I am not positive on that part.  I am also trying to pursue the same goal.  Good luck!  And let me know if you find out any good info.

The 1500 hrs is to be hired straight in as a "journeyman" pilot.  The Border Patrol has a pilot trainee program.  Basically you need 250 hrs and a commercial ticket for ASEL only.  After three years on the ground as an agent(two years now), you can apply for the program where you will build your flight time up to 1500 hrs (all paid by BP in their a/c) at the completion of the 1500 hrs, you will take a checkride, if you pass you will get your commercial rotorcraft add on at the BP flight training center.  Now, having said that, I don't know if the "trainee program" will survive the merger with ICE.  I hope so, it is a good program that helps anybody from a 250 hr civi pilot to a 1000 hour military pilot to build their time to the magic 1500 hours needed for the GS-13 position.

Thanks for all the great info guys, but what about formal education?  I am definatly going to complete a 4 year degree, and my intended major as of now is accounting.  Would it matter what I study or would customs be just looking to see that I completed a 4 year collegiate program.  Does anyone have any weblinks to information about the Pilot Trainee Program? Also, when is this merger supposed to occur? Thanks again!