Florida Flight Schools

I am looking for the best school in Florida. I have not found much on the review section for flight schools here or anywhere else. I was looking for info on HAI, Volar, Helicopter Academy/Boatpix. If anyone has any personal experience with these schools or any others in Florida please let me know. I am going to visit a few next month so I would appreciate any input on Florida's schools. I maybe overlooking some websites that have more reviews. Any suggestions?

Kjyrkas,

Welcome to the rotor world. It won't surprise you to know that you are not the first person with these questions. That is why there is a 'search' function at the bottom of this page.

I would suggest you try and find the information using the 'search' function. Then when if you have any more questions, return back here, and people will be very willing to help you if you ask more 'specific' questions.

Regards,

Joker

Remember: The Quality of a Question Will Determine the Quality of an Answer!!

I have not found much on the review section for flight schools here or anywhere else.

I've also noticed that there are very few reviews of flight schools since Rey revamped the site and got rid of the anonymous posting of reviews. No more school bashing , and far fewer glowing reviews. As a helo pilot-to-be, I find all feedback useful and would encourage all you graduates out there to share your opinions on where you trained by writing a short review.

Thanks!

Edited by Whirlwind

I am currently with Helicopter Academy. I find them to be a great school. Or I guess I should say I find my instructor to be a great instructor. 30 grand for 300 hours I believe is a fantastic deal. The BoatPix work is usually on the weekends. Sometimes they will have a job that lasts a week or so. They way the deal works is that you pay the 30,000 and that is for the first 150 hours, that's to get your CPL. Then after that you time build with BoatPix for another 150 hours for free. I couldn't find a better deal in my area.

I am using them in Annapolis, MD. That is where they say they are, even though they are really in Stevensville, which is about 10 miles away. I have been with them since August. I almost have my PPL. I'm doing this all part time.

My instructor Paul Petrone, is an awesome pilot. He is currently teaching down at the Florida location for a couple weeks. Every once in a while he will go down there and teach. For a 20 year old I have the upmost respect and confidence in his skills.

So IMO as far as Helicopter Academy goes..... eusa_clap.gif

Highly, HIGHLY recommend Tomlinson Aviation in Ormond Beach, FL. They are an incredible school in all aspects. Their helos are well maintained and they have all the financing and training options of the large schools. Their instructors actually get to know you and they definitely make you feel a part of the family. I got my private and commercial there a couple years ago and it was the best thing I did for both my flying and my confidence in the cockpit. The area is relatively inexpensive to live in also.

I have to agree with all regarding Tomlinson Aviation. Did my Private there. Very good instructors, Owner right on top of everything, Maintenance is excellent. stopped in to visit a while back, all new crew there now but I'm sure that Neal is keeping them in line

Whatever you do, make sure you go visit the schools before you choose.

Good luck

After reviewing your list of S. Florida flight schools, I noticed you did not mention Palm Beach Helicopters. As the owner of that school, I wondered if you could provide me with an overview of why we were not on your list. Feel free to post your reply here or e-mail me at randy@palmbeachhelicopters.com.

It is equally important to hear when customers DO NOT choose your facility for training as it is when they do. Also, Tomlinson Aviation is an excellent facility as mentioned by others.

I look forward to your response.

Randy Rowles

Palm Beach Helicopters

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend Tropical Helicopter in Leesburg, FL. Its a laid back atmosphere, and they have 2 300C's, an Enstrom 280FX, and a Warrior (fixed wing). They also have a FlyIt sim, so you can definitely save some money that way. I live in Orlando but make the drive (about an hour) because their prices are so reasonable. They don't charge for ground instruction, and its 2250 for a 10 hr block of heli time (in the 300C's) WITH INSTRUCTION. I just got my instrument rating with them, and I'm happy with my experience. The helis are very well maintained (on site), so there are rarely delays due to maintenance. Definitely worth checking out ( http://www.tropicalhelicopter.com ).

Chris

Edited by svtcobra66

After reviewing your list of S. Florida flight schools, I noticed you did not mention Palm Beach Helicopters. As the owner of that school, I wondered if you could provide me with an overview of why we were not on your list. Feel free to post your reply here or e-mail me at randy@palmbeachhelicopters.com.

It is equally important to hear when customers DO NOT choose your facility for training as it is when they do. Also, Tomlinson Aviation is an excellent facility as mentioned by others.

I look forward to your response.

Randy Rowles

Palm Beach Helicopters

I just checked out your website Randy, looks great ! I would imagine there are plenty of 1st class schools out there ( like yours) that are well, ? just not well known. Look at all the negative posts about SSH? ! sometimes no news is good news,,,,,,

I am looking for the best school in Florida. I have not found much on the review section for flight schools here or anywhere else. I was looking for info on HAI, Volar, Helicopter Academy/Boatpix. If anyone has any personal experience with these schools or any others in Florida please let me know. I am going to visit a few next month so I would appreciate any input on Florida's schools. I maybe overlooking some websites that have more reviews. Any suggestions?

Spent six mouths at Aquila not happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Give Neil at Aquila Aviation a call 1-866-fly-rite or on the web at www.866flyrite.com I visited the other schools around Central Florida as well. They are located in North Central FL (about 40 min. NE of Gainesville) I found this school to suite my needs, offering everything from PPL to CFII and even Turbine transition. Excellent staff and programs. I plan to continue with the school and become an instructor eventually. Currently I am working on my PPL. Let him know Paul sent you.

Paul

I'd also reccomend HAI, its big so there are lots of helicopters which makes for a busy controlled airspace which is a better learning environment than a sleepy uncontrolled airstrip and teaches situational awareness on a very high level. There are lots of helis, I think its over 30 now with 300cbi's and r22's, and you'll meet lots of students and instructors which is good for training and getting a line into that helicopter network rey's always talking about. You definitely need to asses your learning style and financial capacity but if you're going to move to florida and want to train full time at a busy school HAI is a good bet.

After reviewing your list of S. Florida flight schools, I noticed you did not mention Palm Beach Helicopters. As the owner of that school, I wondered if you could provide me with an overview of why we were not on your list.

Randy Rowles

Palm Beach Helicopters

Randy - Simple logistics for me. I was in FL on business and near Ormond Beach. I did some intitial research on Tomlinson Aviation and set a meeting. I did the same with HAI, to get a contrast in types of schools. I met with Neal Tomlinson first, flew with one of his guys, and cancelled the visit to HAI. I new this was the place. So Palm Beach wasn't on the list for no reason other than I loved the first place I came to and stayed.