Looking for training in Las Vegas

Hello all,

I'm looking for Helicopter flight training in Las Vegas. I was looking at Silver State Helicopters but after reading about the all the problems in TX and CA, I am very leary. Do these problems run rampant through the company or are these just squeaky wheels. Does anyone have anything good to say? If not can anyone recomend another school (here in Las Vegas). I'm looking for a school that will get me all my ratings without breaking the bank. I know that I probably won't be able to have my cake and eat it to but there must be something.

Elladrel

Go check out Leading Edge Rotorcraft at Boulder City Airport south of Vegas. I was on vacation in Vegas a month ago and did a flight review / tour flight with them. Very nice people & clean helicopters. It sounded like most of their students were SSH refugees. They also have a FlyIt simulator which will save you some major $$$ on your instrument rating. The rate they gave me a great rate on the R44.

http://www.leadingedgerotorcraft.com

Good luck and tell them I said hello if you talk with them!

Hello all,

I'm looking for Helicopter flight training in Las Vegas. I was looking at Silver State Helicopters but after reading about the all the problems in TX and CA, I am very leary. Do these problems run rampant through the company or are these just squeaky wheels. Does anyone have anything good to say? If not can anyone recomend another school (here in Las Vegas). I'm looking for a school that will get me all my ratings without breaking the bank. I know that I probably won't be able to have my cake and eat it to but there must be something.

Elladrel

You can also check out First Flight Aviation at the North Las Vegas airport, almost right next door to Silver State. They are primarily a fixed-wing school but their rotor-wing program is growing fast. I left Silver State and I am now learning to fly at First Flight and I am loving it. They are saving me a ton of money and I am getting all the flight hours I can handle. Their CFI's are also far more experienced and knowledgable. I learned more in one hour at First Flight than I did in 6 weeks at SSH.

Their website for the rotor-wing school still doesn't have much info so the best thing to do is call them at 702-647-4303

Hey ya all...

First Flight Aviation is a top notch school.

They have been open for over 20 years and have just started up a Rotorwing program.

The school has approx 12 CFI's Fixed & Rotor.

Approx 12 airplanes and currently using Schweizer two 300's. - The school has 9 helicopters total, so getting on the schedule is not an issue. Fly everyday if you want too.

We are flying the Schweizer 300's, the safest training helicopter around. This fully articulated machine is far more stable then the R-22 and it's sturdy skids can take a pretty good beating. It is very rare to find a 300 accident, where the helicopter rolled over. (where the R-22 it almost always rolls over)

Now don't get me wrong, I like the Robinsons. I have over 1,000hrs in Robinsons alone. But they are not as stable, sturdy or as well built as a Schweizer.

Students can generally HOVER ON THEIR OWN in just a ONE HOUR LESSON. - Where the squirly R-22 could take you 7, 8, 9 hrs to hover it.

Yes, the CFI's are far more experienced then the ones at SSH.

The school has a very long history and they don't cheat people out of money.

You CAN pay as you go. You can go through one of the loan programs, WHERE YOU GET THE MONEY...

You get the money from your bank/loan and you dispurse it to the school as needed.

If you leave, you still have your money to go somewhere else.

None of this fuss, that students are having at that other school, where you can't get your money back if you quit for any reason.

*** Also there are plenty of helicopters / CFI's to go around.***

If you want to fly EVERY DAY, it's not a problem.

Come down to Las Vegas and check out First Flight Aviation at the North Las Vegas Aiport.

Come down and fly everyday and if you study hard, you could get your private in 4 or 5 weeks.

Call them if you wish... 702-647-4111 ask for Mark...

Hello all,

Elladrel

• 1 month later...
Hello all,

Elladrel

Elladrel,

I was wondering if you decided on a school yet, and if you are attending. I am also in the Vegas Area and looking to go to a school. Can you pass on some some info? Thx

JJNM

i'm going to ssh tomorrow night for the "free seminar" on becoming a helicopter pilot ... maybe i'll look at ffa while i'm up there.

Before you go I would highly recommend reading the 742,000 posts on this forum regarding SSH. You might have a better idea of what you are getting into before you go.

i'm going to ssh tomorrow night for the "free seminar" on becoming a helicopter pilot ... maybe i'll look at ffa while i'm up there.

Hey let me know how that visit goes, I'm planning on finding a school by next month, but I am out of the area right now. Never know, all 742,000 post about SSH could be wrong...lol Regardless, I've seen a few good post about FFA, if you could give me the scoop, I'd appreciate it...thx..

JJNM

JJNM ... i'll let you know how it goes tonight ...

It is obvious this poor kid wouldnt have had the slightest interest in flying helicopters if it werent for SSH's waves of propaganda.

was that comment directed at me? if so ... wow ... you really got me all figured out pal (and from only one post) ...

How about posting your impressions of the "seminar"...turnout, enthusiasm, questions, that sorta thing. I don't think FFA has much of a helo program...I believe only one S300...although that might provide for more personalized instruction. If you do touch base with them could you post their rates for helo...dual, solo and ground? Have fun

I got this info from FFA via email....

Thank you for your interest in First Flight Aviation. We would be happy to train you in our helicopters to be a pilot. We currently operate Schweizer 300’s. Total cost for your private pilot license (rotorcraft/helicopter), including supplies, is roughly $13,750. This estimate is for 50 flight hours with instruction and ground school. The time it takes for you to be completed, depends on how often you fly and study. If you can fly 3 times per week, an average completion rate is 4 months. There are a few sources where you can obtain Financing. Sallie Mae Financial is a direct loan program (they offer a deferred payment plan), or Pilot Finance (which is kind of like a credit card, where you have minimum monthly payments from the beginning). You can apply to both of these companies in our corporate office, which is located in the Rancho Air Center across the street (Rancho Rd) from the North Las Vegas Airport.

I hope this has helped answer some of your questions. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Or, you may want to speak with one of our Helicopter Instructors (Mark, or John ), they can be reached at 702-647-0434.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you soon,

Amanda Belanger

702-647-3252

JJNM ... i'll let you know how it goes tonight ...

was that comment directed at me? if so ... wow ... you really got me all figured out pal (and from only one post) ...

Thx Jonnyslick... Any first hand info would be good..

JJNM

JJNM thanks for that info. do you live in Las Vegas too?

Yeah I live in Vegas, but I've been gone for a long time. I should be back, hopefully in May, so I'm looking to start up a school around that time. FFA is closer to the house, Leading Edge is little to far for me, and SSH, just had to many bad reviews.

Yeah I'm quickly starting to see that. But, I'm still going to go to hear what they have to say. I'm in no hurry to get in school or get my license, so I want to look at all the options out there, keep and open mind, and make an educated decision. I've only been searching out stuff here for about a week. I live in Boulder City, so I'm gonna' go down to the airport Saturday and talk to some people down there for their thoughts as well.

Yeah I'm quickly starting to see that. But, I'm still going to go to hear what they have to say. I'm in no hurry to get in school or get my license, so I want to look at all the options out there, keep and open mind, and make an educated decision. I've only been searching out stuff here for about a week. I live in Boulder City, so I'm gonna' go down to the airport Saturday and talk to some people down there for their thoughts as well.

Hey Jonny, any word??

Johnny,

Go to the seminar and get only what you need from it, but just remember that a lot of what is said are just selling points. I am a student at the school and I have no regrets about my decision, even tho I did not buy a lot of what was said I am getting a lot out of it. just remember that a lot of the negative comments are just personal experiences of a few and do not reflect the feelings and experiences of the entire organization.

The decision to go to SSH or somewhere else is yours to make, ask as many questions as you possibly can at the seminar, and even try to catch Jerry afterwards and talk to him. I did, and it put a lot of fears to rest.

The worst thing you can do is base your decisions off a persons advise that you don't know or have no idea why this person is telling you what you are hearing.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Make sure to check out Leading Edge. They may be small, but you don't wait around for helo availability. Their percentage of first-time passes on written and practical exams is unmatched up through Commercial.

If you want to full-time it, you can get your private rating in 90 days or less. I did. DPE availability is probably the only thing that would have you waiting.

Rates are lowest you'll find in the area.

PM me for more info.