Getting from 200-300 hours

So, it seems most newly qualified CFII's will be qualifying with about 200 hours or so. However, most jobs advertised want 250 to 300 hours for CFII's to work for them due to insurance restrictions.

How are newly qualifieds closing the gap? Is it just a case of buying the hours or waiting around a long time for someone with lower hour requirements? Do the bigger schools have lower requirements becuase every school seems to say "we only hire those we train".

Is it worth trying to offer to pay the difference in premium to get a foot on the ladder? Or perhaps go and see Boatpix (if you're light enough!) - or perhaps just buy your own R22!

Interested to hear how many are coming up against the hour minimums and what action (if any) is being taken to bridge the gap...

I'm happy to say that I have seen more than a couple want-ads for 200+ Hour CFIIs. So long as I can eat and make my loan payments I'd be happy to to go do most anything although I would prefer to stay in parts of the industry that require less risky flights. Many times I've seen 1000 hours given as a number a CFI could attain in a year. Seems a little too good to be true to me, considering that would be taking 5 people from 0-200 Hours. One way or the other you'd be handling quite a few students to get that time like that.

Your best bet???

Find private pilots, whom are working towards their commercial rating...

1. They would split the cost of the flight and u get to log the time, while he/she flys.

2. You ride for free, a lot of these privates, would love for you to "tag a long", as it is safer for them.

3. They could be under the hood, and you as their safety pilot, after all they need 50HRS cross country.

There are LOTS of ways to build time...

Be creative....

Silver State Helicopters is opening offices all over the US. They hire at 200 hours, but you need the SFAR73 signoff to teach in the R22. If you are a CFII, then SSH wants you to have the SFAR73 signoff for the R44. They will take you at 200 hours, but you will have monthly CFI reviews that include an hour ground and an hour of flight with the chief CFI. This is to compensate for your lack of experience.

Just a note...

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhhh, just another note.

They, SSH, just fired a CFI whom went thru all of their training, got his CFI rating and then taught there for like a year or so.

Once he got his 1,000hrs he gave his 2 week notice to leave and they tell him YOUR FIRED.

WHAT KIND OF sh*t IS THAT?

You go to school for this company and then you insruct for them and then later put your 2 weeks in so you can go fly bigger and better helicopters, JUST LIKE WE ALL DO WHEN WE GET 1000HRS, and they tell you - YOUR FIRED.

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO WORK FOR THIS COMPANY?

NONE THE LESS GO TO SCHOOL THERE.....

WAKE UP FOLKS................

You go to school for this company and then you insruct for them and then later put your 2 weeks in so you can go fly bigger and better helicopters, JUST LIKE WE ALL DO WHEN WE GET 1000HRS, and they tell you - YOUR FIRED.

Apparently SSH doesn't require two weeks notice...so what's the problem? Sounds like he got what he wanted and he was leaving anyway. Was he a SSH graduate?

SSH is great for CFIs...lot's of hours and the highest pay you'll ever get teaching. As long as it lasts.

Not so great for students...too pricey. For those considering SSH, the choice is between paying $20k more for 200 flight hours than at any other flight school on the chance that SSH will still be hiring and still be paying the high payrates when you get your CFI or, pay that much less and work at getting hired on somewhere else with your 200 hours.

Twenty thousand dollars...plus interest over 20 years...is a lot of money considering what the occupation pays.