Flight Training Study Materials

Of the current pilots or students in a flight school purchase any DVD course prior to attending school such as Sporty's or King Schools w/ Helicopter add on??? If not one of these, did you use any other DVD training material prior to class???

I was curious if this would be a worth while investment to purchase???

Thanks

I bought the Sporty's DVDs. I have the "So you want to fly helicopters" and the Advanced helicopter DVD also. They are pretty informative and go over the basics of helicopter flight, the advanced DVD goes over stuff you will need for you commercial license, but they are both worth buying. They aren't a subsititute for actually flying the helicopter, but they will get you familiar with things you will need.

I also have the King DVDs, they are great for getting ready for your written exam.

I have both those DVD's from Sporty's and they are a good place to get general info. I want to get a head start on more technical info so Im thinking about getting the King Private course with Helicopter add on so good to hear you felt it was useful.

Appreciate your time.

Mike

Another great resourse is the rotorcraft flying handbook, you can get it free as a pdf download from the FAA. You might already know about it, but I thought I would throw it out there. If you want to get ready to start training, this is the book to read.

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraf...a-h-8083-21.pdf

The PDF version of the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook looked like crap-inferior resolution-that I ordered it from Overstockdotcom for $10 and $1.50 shipping. Got it in two days, and the illastrations(sp) are better than the PDF. If Amazon costs more, I wouldn't get it.

I'm going to get the FAR/AIM via the net and spend all day printing it...or maybe just but it.

Later

Super64,

I have the "So You Want to Fly Helicopters" VHS ver. I also bought a Jeppesen Helicopter Flite School video course. In video comparison to the Sporty's, the Jepp video is very basic, but you also get a Pilot Exercises workbook included for $49.95. You don't get a work book with the Sporty's video. I was also thinking about puchasing the Jeppesen Private/Commercial Helicopter Manual. I bought my Jepp course at My Pilot Store.com.

Regards

I got all the King videos/DVD's from PPL to CFII with Helo supplements. I also got all the Computer Based testing stuff. From Sporty's I got the 2 DVD's mentioned plus the Instrument course.

I like the Kings stuff because it goes over the material in such a way as to understand it and help you learn it to pass the exam. I find the Sporty's stuff more polished but not as helpful for answering specific questions.

I'm glad I have both and am still going through them. Shortly I'll be reviewing the PPL series again, prior to beginning training in May.