heli newbie lots of questions pilots any help would be appreciated

ok let me introduce myself my name is Ryan this is my 1st post. i just turned 18 a few weeks ago, and i live in southern california. i need a career not a job, i don't want to go to collage for years. i've always been fascinated with aviation, mainly helicopters. i'm pretty sure i want to be a helicopter pilot, and my mom says she'll pay for the training once i'm sure that i want to be a pilot. so I'm hoping everybody on here is as nice as they are on the subaru forums, and i could find a pilot perferably from california that would let me give him/her a call and just talk, and ask about their career and basically just make sure its what i want to do, before i go spend time and money. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks a bunch

Learn to hover in the 22. So far it's the worst thing I've ever done...well, except the time I shot myself in the face. Don't worry, they were blanks .

Really, hovering is quite tiring and mentally draining for this pilot. Trying to coordinate three controls for someone who has absolutly no hand-eye coordination is frudtrating. See, I can't even spell frustrating. My IP said I was doing well for a 2 hour pilot. I think I suck :).

Learn the hover and evaluate.

Later

"Really, hovering is quite tiring and mentally draining for this pilot. Trying to coordinate three controls for someone who has absolutly no hand-eye coordination is frudtrating. See, I can't even spell frustrating. My IP said I was doing well for a 2 hour pilot. I think I suck :). "

Ahh..come on Witch- I gave you all my hovering secrets ! After 2 hours I don't think I knew how to start the damn thing, so don't feel bad.

Goldy

I'm at 1.6 hours so far. I just got the books and a lot is making sense. I was trying to get altitude with the wrong control in a cruise. As for hovering, I am still working on getting it off the ground without spinning around.

"Really, hovering is quite tiring and mentally draining for this pilot. Trying to coordinate three controls for someone who has absolutly no hand-eye coordination is frudtrating. See, I can't even spell frustrating. My IP said I was doing well for a 2 hour pilot. I think I suck :). "

Ahh..come on Witch- I gave you all my hovering secrets ! After 2 hours I don't think I knew how to start the damn thing, so don't feel bad.

Goldy

I'm at 1.6 hours so far. I just got the books and a lot is making sense. I was trying to get altitude with the wrong control in a cruise. As for hovering, I am still working on getting it off the ground without spinning around.

Brian- we've all been there...think of your power as basically split in half- half for speed and half for lift. If you want to increase lift and gain altitude, just slow down...you wont have to touch the power setting ( collective) at all. When you're climbing you should never be flying faster than 55 or so ...as far as hovering, I described it in a post somewhere as the same as balancing a brick on a fishing line...it can be done, just requires some practice first !

Seriously now- I HOPE you're not actually attempting lift off with only 1.6 hrs, way too dangerous that close to the ground.

Safe flying..

Goldy

Not a lift off all by myself. I agree, I'd have the thing in the dirt. More like "I have the pedals, you pull up the collective and get a feel for it". Then "I'm going to pull up on the collective while you get a feel for how the pedals need to be adjusted." etc. etc.

The last day I flew there were a lot of thermals throwing me around. Which threw off my trying to hold it around 60. I wasn't comfotable pushing forward or back on the cyclic as I didn't want to lose my altitude. From reading up it sounds like I had the wrong idea in my head. Just keep the speed and heading with the cyclic and use the collective for the altitude (or climb rate).

Of course everything I am learning here can and will be superceded by what my instructor tells me but I am just enjoying this so much I want to talk about it. :D

Brian- we've all been there...think of your power as basically split in half- half for speed and half for lift. If you want to increase lift and gain altitude, just slow down...you wont have to touch the power setting ( collective) at all. When you're climbing you should never be flying faster than 55 or so ...as far as hovering, I described it in a post somewhere as the same as balancing a brick on a fishing line...it can be done, just requires some practice first !

Seriously now- I HOPE you're not actually attempting lift off with only 1.6 hrs, way too dangerous that close to the ground.

Safe flying..

Goldy