LE search lights

67Nov,

Try these. This should answer everything!

http://ils.spectrolab.com/ILS%20Datasheets...6%20REV%20A.pdf

http://ils.spectrolab.com/ILS%20Datasheets...6%20REV%20A.pdf

I would say Spectro Lab has about 90% of the market so chances are this is what you saw. Our SX 16 has an after-market kit that boosts it to 50 million candle power. We were running some checks on the ground on a light that had been giving us problems. An officer was standing about 5 feet away from the light talking to the mechanic. His 100% wool duty trousers actually caught fire and burned a hole about the size of a nickel in them. I have a picture somewhere.

OK... Not meaning to hijack the intention of the thread, but... Now this brings up a somewhat related question or non-related question depending on your POV. Whenever the police fly their AStar over my home at night with their light on... My TV picture goes all to H#$%. Do the lights generate a ton of RF??? ...Cause the TV problems definitely come from that light it seems. ie. - When they get closer with the light on the picture gets worse... As it gets farther, the picture gets better. Is there a plasma arc or something similar that causes the light and associated RF?...

Ive never heard of any of our equipment disturbing T.V.s or radios on the ground. We have the full bag of toys, the FLIR Aero Map and the spot light. THey may have a microwave down link that could affect something, but Ive never heard of it.

We also have the SX-16 search light. I get a real kick out of narrowing the beam down to a point and putting it right in the bad guys drivers side window on felony vehicle stops.

An officer was standing about 5 feet away from the light talking to the mechanic. His 100% wool duty trousers actually caught fire and burned a hole about the size of a nickel in them. I have a picture somewhere.

hoooly keerist :o , ya can cook yur dinner faster than a microwave at that rate :o :huh:

It uses a short arc xenon bulb. I have never heard of it causing RF interference. I don't think it does because we have at least two of every radio band, frequency, antenna etc that you can imagine and it does not cause any interference with our radios. If there was harmful RF coming from the searchlight we would be the first one complaining about it!

It uses a short arc xenon bulb. I have never heard of it causing RF interference. I don't think it does because we have at least two of every radio band, frequency, antenna etc that you can imagine and it does not cause any interference with our radios. If there was harmful RF coming from the searchlight we would be the first one complaining about it!

Interesting. Can you tell me who the mod is from that increases your power to 50 mil? With all your equipment running (FLIR, Nightsun, A/C, etc, etc,) can the electrical system handle everything or do you have to turn somthing off? If I remember correctly you fly 120s?

Interesting. Can you tell me who the mod is from that increases your power to 50 mil? With all your equipment running (FLIR, Nightsun, A/C, etc, etc,) can the electrical system handle everything or do you have to turn somthing off? If I remember correctly you fly 120s?

The system handles everything just fine. The generator is putting out about 90-95 amps with everything on. With the light off it is around 45-50 amps. All this and the A/C is running! There is a momentary spike to about 130 amps when you first light off the searchlight but it settles back down quickly. I am not positive about the mod but I think they buy a special bulb usually used in stage and movie productions which bumps it up to 50 million CP.

That bulb is about $1500. EAGLE1....must be nice having A/C!!!! We were cruisin up here and the OAT was showing 100......at least the doors come off!

The A/C is ok. It barely keeps up but it is still nice. I do miss flying the 500 on a nice summer night with the doors off, half hanging out as you orbit the call. Like flying in an open cockpit biplane I would guess. Those are some great memories! We don't fly the Ec120 with the doors off but every so often I'll hop in back and open the slider.

Are you going to New Orleans? If so look me up. I will be there all week. Tell Lail I said hi!

We like to call that our 70/500 airconditioning (70 knots, 500 feet). Its great at night, but is a little lacking during the daylight hours when it is above 90 degrees... Although the UV light gives the flightsuit that lovely tie dyed look on your sleeve and leg. You can always tell the CFI because he/she will have the look on both sides of the flightsuit from flying with the arm out the door from both sides of the helicopter.

Our SX's do put out some RF, which causes squelch noise over our aircraft radios for the first 5-10 seconds after turning on the bulb. I highly doubt there is enough RF to cause any sort of interference on the ground though.

Jeff